• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buying an item through PayPal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ParatrooperSean

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

Greetings,

I purchased a very expensive comic book from a person on a comic book related message forum, total $7270.00

I paid him through PayPal, who does have a "buyer protection" program.

Prior to shipping the comic, the seller has asked me to sign a Bill of Sale, which transfers ownership to me. The problem is I don't have it in hand yet. I'm worried that the Bill of Sales give me ownership which would waive my right to demand a refund if the item is not as described, arrives damaged or not at all.

I've bought and sold many comic books, and I've never had someone ask for a Bill of Sale. He said it's because he's buying a house, that the mortgage company is looking at his finance and he needs to explain where the money came from.

Thanks for any insight or advice.

Sean

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

Greetings,

I purchased a very expensive comic book from a person on a comic book related message forum, total $7270.00

Prior to shipping the comic, the seller has asked me to sign a Bill of Sale, which transfers ownership to me. The problem is I don't have it in hand yet. I'm worried that the Bill of Sales give me ownership which would waive my right to demand a refund if the item is not as described, arrives damaged or not at all.

I've bought and sold many comic books, and I've never had someone ask for a Bill of Sale. He said it's because he's buying a house, that the mortgage company is looking at his finance and he needs to explain where the money came from.

Thanks for any insight or advice.

Sean
Tell him you'll be glad to sign it for him after you receive your comic book. :cool:

swalsh411

You're not going to find too many attorneys posting here. Generally, you pay for their advice.

If you don't want to sign this document, tell the buyer that it was not part of the deal and that you want the item you paid for. If he refuses, file a complaint with paypal.

asiny

Paypal does have a "buyer protection" program.... a seller is not automatically a participant, they have to request to become one. Is the seller a participant in the "buyer protection" program?

ParatrooperSean

Paypal does have a "buyer protection" program.... a seller is not automatically a participant, they have to request to become one. Is the seller a participant in the "buyer protection" program?
You scared me for a minute. I called PayPal to confirm, and ALL transactions are covered so long as you send the money as "Goods" and not as a "Gift."

I'm going to take the advice of the person who said to tell him that wasn't part if the deal.

Thanks everyone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">