• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cable box decoder

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kritter

New Jersey- I had, at the request of an old boyfriend, purchased an rft decoder from out of state in 2002. The thing never worked and I never saw it again. The vendor was busted and I received a letter stating I need to settle for $2000.00 or be prosecuted for cable theft. I pay for cable, and online and netflix to watch movies! I don't steal cable and cannot afford a lawyer (single mom of two). I have to cancel my television and phone service to pay this. Can they actually make me pay? Do lawyers take these cases on contingency? I am actually looking into bankruptcy now as a result of this. They CAN'T prove I stole cable and I can prove I didn't. Anyone have legitimate advice?

Last edited:

Some Random Guy

You can't get a lawyer to take this on contingency because contingency means they get paid a share of your WINNINGS in the lawsuit. From what I see, you aren't going to win anything.

See if you can get some free legal advice locally
http://law-library.rutgers.edu/resources/legalref.php#6

If that fails, try to negotiate with the people sending you letters. Be prepared to:
1. Provide records showing that you paid for cable every month since 2002.
2. Provide the name and address of the boyfriend you were buying the unit on behalf of.
3. Argue that you are so close to bankruptcy that you would never be able to pay the full amount, and they would see nothing since you would file for BK instead.

kritter

response to random guy

NJ- Thank you for your advice. Yes i realize there are no winnings. In answer to your response, I have no idea where the guy is today! He cost me thousands to get rid of. I have worked a deal that is costing me $2K over 10 months and I may very well have to claim bankruptcy- either that or not feed my kids. They don't seem to care. He has the proof I've paid for cable and online services (now cancelled due to this). He said that because my cable set up would enable the decoder to work-the assumption is that I WILL steal cable. I have yet to find an attorney to advise me. Binder and Binder in LI, NY has a class action lawsuit they are developing and trying to get status on for all the hundreds of people who are being penalized for "assumption" of cable theft. I have to actually receive monetary damages in order to become a part of the suit. That does not help me at the moment, as it is the $$$ I do not have to pay. If I do not pay, they will prosecute, as per head of security for Cablevision.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">