• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cable Company overcharged me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thecableguy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I owed my cable/internet provider around $400. I had only about $800 to my name. I called and authorized a payment of $400 to be electronically debited from my bank account. My cable provider incorrectly charged my account three times, $400 each time, emptying my account, and putting it $400 in the red. I was charged insufficient funds fees by my bank. When I called them to sort out the issue, they offered to refund $800 in the form of paper check and said it will take 6 to 8 weeks to send it. I have tried everything I can think of to try and get this corrected sooner, but without any luck. In the meantime, I have no money to eat, or to pay other bills, such as my electricity which is scheduled to be shut off in a few days. Also my bank is charging an additional $35 per day that my account is in the red. So far 7 days, or $245 so my account is now $645 in the red. I don't feel this is fair that I need to suffer for their mistake. I have contacted the public services commissioner who in turn asked the cable provider to contact me back which they did, but they only offered me a 10% discount on future services, and no improved timeframe for a refund. I asked the bank if they can reverse the charges, and they said no, because I authorized the amount $400 which each of the transactions were for. I'm facing eviction, and possibly homelessness over this. I want to call my cable provider and threaten legal action if they don't correct this immediately, but I'm not sure if I have grounds to do this? Can I sue for the $800 excess they took? Can I also ask the cable provider to reimburse extra costs such as the bank fees, and possibly additional for the hardship they've caused me? Can I sue for more if I experience additional hardships between now and the time a refund is provided? Any insight is appreciated! Thanks!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I owed my cable/internet provider around $400. I had only about $800 to my name. I called and authorized a payment of $400 to be electronically debited from my bank account. My cable provider incorrectly charged my account three times, $400 each time, emptying my account, and putting it $400 in the red. I was charged insufficient funds fees by my bank. When I called them to sort out the issue, they offered to refund $800 in the form of paper check and said it will take 6 to 8 weeks to send it. I have tried everything I can think of to try and get this corrected sooner, but without any luck. In the meantime, I have no money to eat, or to pay other bills, such as my electricity which is scheduled to be shut off in a few days. Also my bank is charging an additional $35 per day that my account is in the red. So far 7 days, or $245 so my account is now $645 in the red. I don't feel this is fair that I need to suffer for their mistake. I have contacted the public services commissioner who in turn asked the cable provider to contact me back which they did, but they only offered me a 10% discount on future services, and no improved timeframe for a refund. I asked the bank if they can reverse the charges, and they said no, because I authorized the amount $400 which each of the transactions were for. I'm facing eviction, and possibly homelessness over this. I want to call my cable provider and threaten legal action if they don't correct this immediately, but I'm not sure if I have grounds to do this? Can I sue for the $800 excess they took? Can I also ask the cable provider to reimburse extra costs such as the bank fees, and possibly additional for the hardship they've caused me? Can I sue for more if I experience additional hardships between now and the time a refund is provided? Any insight is appreciated! Thanks!
I would go back and talk to your bank again...this time ask for the manager. You did NOT authorize them to take 400.00 THREE times. You authorized them to take it ONCE. The bank should reverse the excess charges. The phone company did that to me once when I was in similar circumstances to you.
My bank cheerfully reversed the excess charges.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">