• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cable Modem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jgfi1966

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

Three months ago, I cancelled my cable/internet Mediacom package. I went to Direct TV and DSL.

Two months ago, Mediacom disconnected me and I happened to be home, gave the technician their modem. He gave me a receipt. I’m done.

One month ago I got a final bill plus charges for a modem. I wrote a check for the amount owed minus the modem and included a letter stating I gave the modem to the disconnect technician. I have it on my receipt.

Three days ago, I got a letter from a lawyer. They want the modem or 130 bucks. Ever since, I tried to show them that I gave them the modem. Phone people said to talk to the local office and emails were ignored except for one. I got one single response after I asked for the local number and I got a response – they are not allowed to give it to me.

Finally, I took a hour off work to go to their office and the lady said yup, you turned in this modem, but you have a modem from 5 years ago. The year 2007. She wanted me to prove I gave it back to them.

What???

There is no mysterious modem from 2007. They may have replaced my modem since a technician had to come out at least once or twice a year – that’s why I got rid of them. But I wrote them tonight asking them why in the world would a technician connect my cable to a modem and then split my cable off to another modem? I only had one account.

I don’t even think that would work.

Called Mediacom again and asked for them to tell me why they visited in 2007. Their records don’t go back that far.

I am NOT giving them money for a modem but obviously they are going to ruin my credit for a modem that THEY HAVE! Or somebody does - I don't.

Do I have a choice except take a hit on the credit? Sucks... giving them money is not an option.

sandyclaus

Simple.

Prove that you returned the modem they are talking about, or that it was swapped out for a different modem somewhere down the line. Provide Mediacom with the receipt or work order showing the exchange or return of the modem. (You did keep the receipts, right?)

If you can't prove it, then you should probably just go ahead and pay the charge. That would keep it off your credit. Or not, but then the ding to your credit could have been prevented and the choice is yours.

Time to go digging through those receipts and work orders. :eek::eek::eek:

Jgfi1966

I actually have the receipt. Believe it or not, from Feb 8, 2007. It's a pink copy and you can barely read what's on it. I can see the serial number of a modem. I got the job number, technician... that's about it. I had wondered the chances I would actually have a receipt from that year.

But I can't even tell you what this job entailed and neither can they.

I never thought about proof he took the old modem. There are some scribbles on it. Bob written at the top with some words after it. Phone numbers that are not mine. And we both signed it.

This proves nothing.

Edit:
I understand what you are saying. I'll take the hit... my credit is great and I am not giving money for something I don't have. Might not be great after a stupid modem but I'll live. Thanks. (they are not getting my money for nothing)

Last edited:

sandyclaus

I actually have the receipt. Believe it or not, from Feb 8, 2007. It's a pink copy and you can barely read what's on it. I can see the serial number of a modem. I got the job number, technician... that's about it. I had wondered the chances I would actually have a receipt from that year.

But I can't even tell you what this job entailed and neither can they.

I never thought about proof he took the old modem. There are some scribbles on it. Bob written at the top with some words after it. Phone numbers that are not mine. And we both signed it.

This proves nothing.

Edit:
I understand what you are saying. I'll take the hit... my credit is great and I am not giving money for something I don't have. Might not be great after a stupid modem but I'll live. Thanks. (they are not getting my money for nothing)
I suppose you could photocopy that document and tell them to prove you DO have the modem. They can't just put something on your credit report without a judgment. And they can't get a judgment without proof. They will have to prove that you had the modem in the first place. With your most recent receipt showing return of a DIFFERENT modem, then it will be on them to provide the work order showing you had the one they are now looking for. If it's missing, or they do not keep the records back far enough to show it, then you should win.

They say you owe a modem from 2007 right? Yet they contradict their own words by telling you their records dont go back that far. Hummm

Jgfi1966

After the anger wore off, I paid it this morning. I have no "proof" that I only had one modem which seems ridiculous. I don't even think two modems on one cable line would work without two accounts.

But, they will not even check it out. They could care less if I pay it or not. I would only hurt myself via credit rating.

I will give them in return, their moneys worth in free advertisement everywhere I find people discussing them.

Extortion!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">