• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cable Piracy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Steelarz

Hi, I live in New Jersey and I have a question about cable piracy laws here. Theoretically speaking, if I purchased a cable box but gave it to someone as a gift, who would be held liable for its unauthorized use? The person who was actually using it, or me, the person who simply bought it?

You Are Guilty

However, be advised that one of the main ways "cable" box users are located is when the police review the sales records of the store who sold them. Thus, the trail will lead right to the purchaser's door. If you gave it to a "friend", you can bet the police will be rather insistant that you provide your "friend's" name to them before they decide to leave without giving you a free pair of silver bracelets.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">