• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cable service

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gothmog56

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? georgia
i live in an area serviced by comcast. cable is a monopoly granted by gvt .the road i live on has cable on every side,they even admit they should have ran the cable but did not. now if i want cable,they want me to pay 1800 .i contact the county and state,the state wrote letter asking to think about it,which they did nothing.i know if i live outside the service ,yes i would need to pay.the cable ends 1/2 mile on every side of road.can i sue them to install the cable?

justalayman

sure and you would spend well in excess of the $1800 and still end up paying $1800 (plus cost of living increases) to have your cable installed.

what makes you believe the cable is a government approved monopoly? You are welcome to start your own cable company and run cable to everybody you want to, and of course, to those you do not find it financially prudent, not.

justalayman

Hey, when you find a guy that rarely makes mistakes you have to pounce on the opportunity to blackmail...

I mean show everybody else he is human too.

gothmog56

monopoly

sure and you would spend well in excess of the $1800 and still end up paying $1800 (plus cost of living increases) to have your cable installed.

what makes you believe the cable is a government approved monopoly? You are welcome to start your own cable company and run cable to everybody you want to, and of course, to those you do not find it financially prudent, not.
im sorry but you may not know this ,you only have 1 cable provider per area ,its contract is approved by either the state or local gvt.now that is a gvt monopoly.they agreed to provide service in exchange for the monopoly.just like by the way power is and phone service used to be.in fact most utilities are a monopoly.also they use the gvt power to take your land to provide access to phone/power/cable poles.and by the way i pay the 1800 and they than can connect everyother house between me and where the cable used to end.

sandyclaus

im sorry but you may not know this ,you only have 1 cable provider per area ,its contract is approved by either the state or local gvt.now that is a gvt monopoly.they agreed to provide service in exchange for the monopoly.just like by the way power is and phone service used to be.in fact most utilities are a monopoly.also they use the gvt power to take your land to provide access to phone/power/cable poles.and by the way i pay the 1800 and they than can connect everyother house between me and where the cable used to end.
You say "monopoly" because they want to charge you to install the cable wiring for your area. You say that it's the only cable provider in town.

Did you ever stop to think that OTHER cable providers are just as unwilling to provide services for that area for the same reason, i.e., the lack of wiring and facilities? Perhaps Comcast is the only cable provider that is willing to put in the time and effort to wire your area - for a price. That goes especially for more rural areas that might be more difficult to get connected, and without the potential subscribers asking to have it, no one is willing to do the work until SOMEONE makes it worth their while.

Perhaps you and the other non-subscribers between you and where the cable now ends might be willing to split the cost to install the facilities so that you ALL can have your previous cable service.

OHRoadwarrior

That is not abnormal. There are additional considerations you are not factoring. There is the cost of labor, wire amplifier and easements. I suggest you Google "cost to run cable 1/2 mile", you will find they are not out of line with the charge applied elsewhere.

justalayman

You really think so? Apparently you have not delved very far into the issue.

Let me make this simpler: just what do you believe prevents you from installing a competing cable system?

Do you realize that AT&T is in direct competition to Comcast and Cox in many areas? Including mine?

Beyond that, just what do you believe prevents you from installing your own system?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">