• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California "Cooling off" period on shady auto insurance deal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lustinjoy

state: California

Yesterday, I was applying for a personal loan online and the website offered to compare rates for auto insurance as well. Seeing how Auto insurance is a major monthly expense, i figured "why not?"

Almost immediately I received a call from a person offering me a much much better monthly rate on terms that seems identical to what i was previously getting. At first i thought this person was calling directly from an insurance company, but near the end of the process I realized this individual was an insurance broker and by the end of the transaction, i felt cheated and totally taken for a ride.

while the monthly savings are substantial, there seemed to be a lot of shady flim-flammary on his end including insisting to list my Marital status as "Married' when in fact i am not married, but simply cohabiting with my girlfriend. Also he listed my car as being solely for pleasure, when it is my only car used for commuting and he drastically Lo-balled my milage to the point of false information. In addition to the lies he insisted on making on paper, He is charging me a $300 brokerage fee, as well as a $250 termination fee, should i choose to cancel service with him when it comes time to renew a year from now. Also the additional $300 down payment was never really fully explained and i felt really pressured into completing the transaction.

Unfortunately, i went through with the process, but now i feel like i really got worked. In addition to feeling like a spineless sucker, i'm afraid that in the event of an accident, the broker's lies could potentially void my policy. I've been sick to my stomach thinking about this all night. While i am saving a substantial bit of money over the year, i do not like the misinformation being used to obtain this cheaper rate and I certainly do not like giving this scumbag my money on his terms.

Could someone please advise me if I have the option to use the California "cooling off period," or if there a way to use his unprofessional and shady angles to void the policy before it's too late and i'm stuck with this creep for good?

thank you

JWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

swalsh411

You may be able to get out of it. Have you given this person any money? Have you notified your current insurance company?

lustinjoy

unfortunately, the answer is "yes" and "yes."

I've paid my first month on the new seedy plan, and yes i canceled my previous plan.

Banned_Princess

unfortunately, the answer is "yes" and "yes."

I've paid my first month on the new seedy plan, and yes i canceled my previous plan.
I don't see anything wrong with your new policy, there just additional credits, so what? your not going to be denied if theres an accident because you are not married, and so what you drive more then he estimated. how is the adjuster going to know you use the car to commute in event of an accident?

but if you hate it that much, purchase a new policy with your old company at the higher rate, and cancel the new one. You will get a refund for the unearned premium.

I dont know about the cancellation fee, I bet you will have to pay that.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">