• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can adult child sue for child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carolynnc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

My daughter is 21 years old. Her sperm donor and I were never married, and he never helped with her rearing. I received public assistance in Washington, DC and one of the requirements to receive aid is to allow the agency to file for support. He never worked for a company that recorded his earnings and never filed taxes so the agency could not served him. Now that our daughter is an adult he has begun a relationship of sorts with her and given her his contact information. My question: Can she as an adult sue for back parental support? He has acknowledged his as his own to family and written letters to his daughter so she has tangible evidence of his acceptance of her. Please help, she turns 22 in June.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

My daughter is 21 years old. Her sperm donor and I were never married, and he never helped with her rearing. I received public assistance in Washington, DC and one of the requirements to receive aid is to allow the agency to file for support. He never worked for a company that recorded his earnings and never filed taxes so the agency could not served him. Now that our daughter is an adult he has begun a relationship of sorts with her and given her his contact information. My question: Can she as an adult sue for back parental support? He has acknowledged his as his own to family and written letters to his daughter so she has tangible evidence of his acceptance of her. Please help, she turns 22 in June.
No, she cannot sue her FATHER for child support. Eventually the state will come after him.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It's pretty sad that the (not adult) child never had anyone in her life but a sperm receptacle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">