• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a bank charge me for insurance toward months that have passed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sabugirl

(State of California) A bank that is financing my car requires me to purchase a full coverage insurance policy as soon as possible, but there’s some grace time to shop around (I got a minimal liability policy for the meantime). 2 months later I got insurance that meets the bank’s requirements, but the bank said because my car did not have the appropriate coverage for the first 2 months, they were going to have to apply their personal policy to cover those months. So now I have a bill of $840 ($420/month). CAN A BANK CHARGE ME FOR INSURANCE FOR MONTHS THAT HAVE PASSED ALREADY (I never got into an accident)?

single317dad

The exact language, word for word, of that original communication (the one that mentioned the "grace period") and your original loan contract (the sections that require you to maintain insurance to protect the bank's investment) are crucial here. Chances are they've got their behinds covered pretty thoroughly, but banks do make mistakes.

Silverplum

(State of California) A bank that is financing my car requires me to purchase a full coverage insurance policy as soon as possible, but there’s some grace time to shop around (I got a minimal liability policy for the meantime). 2 months later I got insurance that meets the bank’s requirements, but the bank said because my car did not have the appropriate coverage for the first 2 months, they were going to have to apply their personal policy to cover those months. So now I have a bill of $840 ($420/month). CAN A BANK CHARGE ME FOR INSURANCE FOR MONTHS THAT HAVE PASSED ALREADY (I never got into an accident)?
Yes. If your Theory of Insurance was true, Allstate owes me 25+ years of premiums.

sabugirl

But isnt insurance supposed to cover an investment from future mishaps?
What exactly is being covered by covering 2 months that happened a long time ago? And no accidents occurred during that time?

I am just trying to wrap my head around the concept

Silverplum

But isnt insurance supposed to cover an investment from future mishaps?
What exactly is being covered by covering 2 months that happened a long time ago? And no accidents occurred during that time?

I am just trying to wrap my head around the concept
The insurance was in force during the two months you were underinsured. You just haven't been forced to pay the bill until now.

ShyCat

You are reimbursing the finance company for your pro-rated share of their insurance policy that would have covered their loss in those two months.

sabugirl

The exact language, word for word, of that original communication (the one that mentioned the "grace period") and your original loan contract (the sections that require you to maintain insurance to protect the bank's investment) are crucial here. Chances are they've got their behinds covered pretty thoroughly, but banks do make mistakes.
I wouldnt doubt it. I'm going to have to look into how much time this "grace period" is exactly... it obviously didnt apply at all

Silverplum

I wouldnt doubt it. I'm going to have to look into how much time this "grace period" is exactly... it obviously didnt apply at all
Do look it up. I'd be shocked if it was longer than a week.

(How long does it take to make some calls, check some internet sites? I could have a vehicle insured within 24 hours.)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The "grace period" is the period in which your EXISTING insurance may cover your newly purchased vehicle.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Do look it up. I'd be shocked if it was longer than a week.

(How long does it take to make some calls, check some internet sites? I could have a vehicle insured within 24 hours.)
I call that and raise you...I could do it within an hour.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">