• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a company be held liable for warranty expired?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chengtai

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I had my power supply for almost 4 years. Power supply was warrants for 3 years by manufacture. My system no longer power up and system was damaged with smoke coming out.. I have credible evidence that my system was damaged by this power supply.

My questions -
#1: Is this PSU manufacture still be held liable for expired warranty?
#2: Is this PSU manufacture obligated to pay this entire damage system?
#3: Any legal suggestion?

Thank you

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I had my power supply for almost 4 years. Power supply was warrants for 3 years by manufacture. My system no longer power up and system was damaged with smoke coming out.. I have credible evidence that my system was damaged by this power supply.

My questions -
#1: Is this PSU manufacture still be held liable for expired warranty?
#2: Is this PSU manufacture obligated to pay this entire damage system?
#3: Any legal suggestion?

Thank you
#1: No
#2: No
#3: I would suggest that you repair or replace your system. A 4 year old computer is a dinosaur - I'd replace it.

OHRoadwarrior

Ditto. If you could articulate it somehow caught fire and burned down your house, you might have a legal action a lawyer would take to see if something shakes out. Otherwise, your damages are about $0 as a laptop is expected to work 3 - 4 years. That is assuming you could formulate some type of actionable negligence on the part of the manufacturer.

#3: I would suggest that you repair or replace your system. A 4 year old computer is a dinosaur - I'd replace it.

swalsh411

Allow me to be the first to inform you of the following:

1. Computer components do not last forever.
2. Sometimes when one part in a connected system (like a PC) goes bad, other parts can be damaged, but not always.

Have you tried simply replacing the PSU? I wouldn't assume your whole PC is dead just because it won't power on.

And even if the other components were damaged, it is unlikely they would be covered by the warrenty anway. The warrenty probably just covers replacing the PSU.

chengtai

thank you for the information.. i will contact manufacture to see if they are willing to repair/fix.

CSO286

thank you for the information.. i will contact manufacture to see if they are willing to repair/fix.
Your warranty is expired and your equipment is ancient. They aren't going to repair/replace anything.

They garunteed the sound performance for three years, so you as a consumer should realize that three years is the useful life of the product. You took your chances any further.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
At BEST, they may offer to replace the power supply. But that would be solely from a customer service angle. They are under no obligation what so ever to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">