• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a contract written by private parties have a full legal strength?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alexsuv

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

I need a legal advice please. I am buying a car and I need to pay money for it to the Seller (private party) in advance. Then the Seller pays my money to the leasing company to do final pay off for the car. And then when he gets the title he release me the car. I verified that the buyer has been living at the same address and working in the same place for the last 40 years.

Please do not advice me simple not to buy a car this way. I want to assess the risk. Hence I have the following questions.
If we (Buyer and Seller) create a contract, sign it by both sides, get it notarized can the buyer can be safe in this case?
Would this contract have a full legal strength in case something bad happens?
What would be your advice as to how to write this contract?
Would you point me to samples of such contract?

Thank you!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Andy0192

You are not buying a car.

At best, you are hoping that the money you give the current leasee is actually going to be applied to the lease. How do you plan to protect yourself if/when it isn't ?

I seriously doubt that the Original Leasee's contract give's them the right to sublease the car. Their insurance also would likely not give them coverage if they would rent the car to a 3rd party. Call your own insurance company & get their advice when you explain to them that you want to be insured for a car you're not leasing.

What you're trying to do is a really stupid move. However, you've already said you're not interested in hearing anyone's advice on buying the car... so I suggest you buy ANOTHER car.

There are ways you can legally arrange to take over a lease - above board & with the approval of the leasing company. Don't try to shortcut the process.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You are not buying a car.

At best, you are hoping that the money you give the current leasee is actually going to be applied to the lease. How do you plan to protect yourself if/when it isn't ?

I seriously doubt that the Original Leasee's contract give's them the right to sublease the car. Their insurance also would likely not give them coverage if they would rent the car to a 3rd party. Call your own insurance company & get their advice when you explain to them that you want to be insured for a car you're not leasing.

What you're trying to do is a really stupid move. However, you've already said you're not interested in hearing anyone's advice on buying the car... so I suggest you buy ANOTHER car.

There are ways you can legally arrange to take over a lease - above board & with the approval of the leasing company. Don't try to shortcut the process.
Andy -

It might help if you READ the OP. OP wants to BUY the vehicle for the cost of the final payoff (or maybe even more). This is doable, but the lessor should be involved...so you would need to have THREE parties present when the transaction takes place.

gogo589

Do NOT buy a car this way...If you just want to pay off someone's vehicle with guarantee, please pay off mine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">