• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can cosigner garnish my wages?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

upacreek517

What is the name of your state? CA
Here’s the situation. My ex-boyfriend cosigned for a lease on a vehicle for me last August. We were both registered owners. I made all the payments on time, but in April I became no longer able to afford the payments and I called him and told him this. He accepted the car, came and picked it up and said “well, I guess I’m stuck with the payments”. Then a week later he called me back and said that if I didn’t pay him any money he is out, he said he would sue me and have my wages garnished. This would be financially devastating for me, I’m barely scrapping by as it is. Then he called back again and asked me “what do you want to do, continue making the payments or have me sell the car and you’ll pay the difference?” I kept telling him I couldn’t afford either, but I believe at some point I said “just sell the car”. He has since borrowed money from his parents and has paid the car off. My name is no longer on the title, and the car is now registered in his name only. He owns the car free and clear except for what he owes his parents. A few people have told me that this changes everything and that he has assumed responsibility for the car now that he has purchased it. Am I in the clear as far as legal action is concerned? Did I enter into a verbal contract with him to pay the money back when I said “just sell the car”? Any input is greatly appreciated, I’m really stressing over this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">