• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Credit Union victimize the victim?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

emrjlr

I am a resident of the State of Washington. On 9/7/01 I found
myself to have been the victim of a very capable con man. In short, after a whirlwind 72 hours in this mans company, he had
completely convinced me of his financial mein and stability; thru
purchasing (seamingly) a new car, - one for me, one for him; also
by depositing 250,000.00 cash into my credit union account. I was sure it was safe after this to allow this man my PIN# to make
another deposit into my account. Needless to say, after failing to return at an appointed time, I discovered he had left town with my ATM and gas station cards in one of the would be purchased new vehicles out on a two day demonustation pass and was on a spending spree in the middle of the State. Discovered his ruse; I reported his fraud to me to my credit union, the police, and auto dealers. He has not been found. My questions lies with this; the credit union has initially returned over $1500.00 in false charges made by him, but then at the end of the week, has taken the money back out! I only discovered this by late nite check balancing; they claim that because I had given him my PIN#, therefore I was responsible for the loss. How can I challenge this and under what section of legal practice would I go to? I feel that there is an insuation that I was not legitimately conned or something. Thank you, emrjlr

racer72

The credit union is correct, you voluntarily gave him your pin #. Your only option will be to get your money back from the con man, wherever he is.

JETX

Racer is correct. Giving someone your PIN number is very similar to giving someone a signed blank check. If they take that check to your bank and clean out your account, there is nothing the bank can do. Your check, your signature.

Regretably, you have obviously been conned by a good one. If you haven't already, I would suggest that you report this to your local police department.

Also:
1) Contact all your credit card companies and put them on notice. Just because he didn't take the card, he could have written the number and expiration.
2) Contact all three CRA (Credit Reporting Agencies - see below). Have them put a 'Fraud Watch' on your accounts. They will put a temporary one (3 day?) until your written request is received. This will minimize the chance of new, unauthorized credit accounts being opened without your knowledge.
3) While talking with the CRA's, it is a GOOD time to request a current copy of your credit file from them. Review it when received and resolve any disputes.

CRA Contacts:
Equifax, P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241; (800) 685-1111.

Experian (formerly TRW), P.O. Box 2002, Allen, TX 75013; (888) EXPERIAN (397-3742).

Trans Union, P.O. Box 1000, Chester, PA 19022; (800) 916-8800.

Last edited:
D

darla253

I hate to hear that you are liable for his actions. I am currently going through a situation with our bank. My husband had his debit card stolen, no pin number has ever been used but it is one that can be used as a visa card. They've cleaned us out! The bank keeps paying even after we've filed the appropriate papers, cancelled the cards, changed bank accounts, etc. It's a nightmare. Your best bet would be to close your account and go to another bank. If not, he's going to keep getting away with it. I wish you the best of luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">