• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can have checking account but not a merchant account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shuffip

What is the name of your state? ARKANSAS

I recently opened a business checking account at the bank that handles all of our personal and other business accounts.

At the time I opened the account I requested a Merchant account so that I could accept credit cards for my merchandise.

The local branch where I did this does not have a full time person who takes care of this so I was told that she would call me.

When she called, she asked the nature of my business. To which I replied "retail sales." She wanted me to be more specific so I told her the truth. I am an independent consultant for Passion Parties, Inc. I was then told that the bank does not allow credit card merchant accounts for that "type" of business, but that I could keep my checking account.

Is this legal? It seems like discrimination to me. If it is legal, I will have to move my checking account to a bank that will allow me to also have a merchant account. Using a separate bank for just the merchant account would increase my costs due to have to send the funds to the other bank.

Any help would be appreciated on this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">