• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I break this contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

zcat

I live in Delaware, and hired a contractor from Maryland to abandon by inground pool. I signed a contract with them, but didn't include an end date for the work (I know, stupid). They verbally told me it should take 2 weeks, weather permitting. They started filling in the hole on May 3rd. Now it's the end of June, they're not finished and they haven't done any work in the past 2 weeks. I've called them to ask when they're coming back, and they keep telling me "tomorrow", but no one ever shows up. I still owe them 1/3 of the total bill, to be paid when completed. I've talked to another contractor who says he can finish the job, but I don't want two contracts on the same job. I'm going to call the first contractor to ask if I can get out of the contract, but if they don't agree, can I break the first contract and not have them come back to me for the rest of the money? I feel I can claim they didn't finish the job in a reasonable amount of time. Other contractors have told me the job should have taken a week. Weather has been a bit of a factor, but they've had plenty of sunny days to finish.

If they do agree to walk off the job, what should I get from them in writing?

Please help! I've lived with a mud pit or huge hole in my backyard for 11 weeks!! Thanks.

L

lawrat

you can break it. since it seemed they had a willful breach, they shouldn't be paid anything more. what they owe you is the diff between the contract price and the cost to complete (with another contractor).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">