• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I cancel a contract before it actually started?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kimyingde

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

We recently signed a contract of landscaping an paid $2000.00 deposit. However we want to cancel this contract due to two reasons:

a. The staff whom we talked with promised a lot but did not put details agreed into the contract instead he just put itemized material costs into the contract, i.e. he did not put the dimensions of the deck into the contract but just material cost for the deck into the contract. It was our mistake not to read the contract in details but to trust his promises during negotiation.

b. Again, it was promised to start the project in two weeks. However one month has passed and the project has not started yet. Furthermore, the starting time was left blank by the staff (maybe intentionally) and we missed this too.

Appreciate very much if anyone could advise if there is any way we can cancel the contract or if we will have any legal trouble if we cancel it?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

We recently signed a contract of landscaping an paid $2000.00 deposit. However we want to cancel this contract due to two reasons:

a. The staff whom we talked with promised a lot but did not put details agreed into the contract instead he just put itemized material costs into the contract, i.e. he did not put the dimensions of the deck into the contract but just material cost for the deck into the contract. It was our mistake not to read the contract in details but to trust his promises during negotiation.

b. Again, it was promised to start the project in two weeks. However one month has passed and the project has not started yet. Furthermore, the starting time was left blank by the staff (maybe intentionally) and we missed this too.

Appreciate very much if anyone could advise if there is any way we can cancel the contract or if we will have any legal trouble if we cancel it?
What does your contract state in regards to cancellation and return of deposit?

swalsh411

It appears you suffer from voluntary IDidn'tBotherToReadWhatISignedanosis.

Your problem is going to be getting back your deposit. I am fairly certain they would be happy to keep it and perform none of the work.

kimyingde

AnonUserName, swalsh411, Thank you very much for your replies!

As the project already started, I will do nothing about the cancellation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">