• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I claim an abandoned tow trailer.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lordgreystoke

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Louisiana
First off, how about some advice as to where I should post this. I couldn't find a topic that really fit what I needed.

Some guys from Maaryland(sorry it kept blocking the name out with one A) came down to work after the Storms. From talking to them they told me their company was supposed to provide jobs, housing, and pay for them when they came down here. They got here and found that none of this was available for them. After having stayed for over a week and sleeping in their trailer they unhitched the trailer and went back to Maaryland. They said their company was going to get them busses(rv) to come back down in. The trailer they had been staying in was the sort used to haul stuff. Basically it was an empty box with wheels. It had no facilities to speak of, I don't know if it even had a light. It's been getting close to 2 months that they left. The trailer is still sitting in the parking lot where I manage a business. I get the impression that they are not coming back for the trailer. It's possible they quit working for the company that sent them here as they left and were pretty upset at their employer.
My question is, is it possible for me to claim this trailer?
It has a plate on it so I know that makes it a lot more difficult to simply just claim it however, that should make it easier to locate who owns it and send them any sort of letters or other documentation needed to give them opportunity to claim it themselves. I have the feeling the trailer is just going to sit there taking up space for a while and will eventually be hauled off by a tow company. So, what can I do? It really is a nice trailer. Probably cost close to 2 grand new. I'd like to be the one to salvage it, but only within the law. I wonder if they just reported it stolen so they could make an insurance claim instead of having to spending a few hundred or more in gas, not to mention time spent driving, to retrieve the trailer.
Anyway, what suggestions do you guys have.. along with.. where the heck should I post this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">