• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i claim this car in order to give it back to the solider i sold the car to? pleas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needsomehelp808

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Honolulu, Hawaii
I sold this solider my car about 2 years ago. The transaction was done at the federal credit union. What happened was that the person who authorized the loan had us sign in the wrong place so he wasn't able to transfer the title into his name so he couldnt renew reg and safety. The car title name is legally still in my name. So the problem is that I just got a notice of abandoned vehicle in the mail saying that his car is in the tow yard and if not picked up within 30 days, its going to be auctioned off. My question is, can i claim this car and give it back to him when i can get in contact with him?(he may be deployed) I spoke to the bank and they couldn't give me any real advice because the tow people said that the bank could take legal action against me since technically I was paid for the car. The car is going to be auctioned off in 15days and everyday another 25$ accumulates on top the storage fee. Please give me advice!! I want to help out the guy.
(can the bank take legal actions against me if I claim this car?) (what if the loan hasnt been paid off by him but the title is still in my name?) (what if he hasnt paid off the car and defaulted on the loan on purpose and I claim it?)

Last edited:

latigo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Honolulu, Hawaii
I sold this solider my car about 2 years ago. The transaction was done at the federal credit union. What happened was that the person who authorized the loan had us sign in the wrong place so he wasn't able to transfer the title into his name so he couldnt renew reg and safety. The car title name is legally still in my name. So the problem is that I just got a notice of abandoned vehicle in the mail saying that his car is in the tow yard and if not picked up within 30 days, its going to be auctioned off. My question is, can i claim this car and give it back to him when i can get in contact with him?(he may be deployed) I spoke to the bank and they couldn't give me any real advice because the tow people said that the bank could take legal action against me since technically I was paid for the car. The car is going to be auctioned off in 15days and everyday another 25$ accumulates on top the storage fee. Please give me advice!! I want to help out the guy.
(can the bank take legal actions against me if I claim this car?) (what if the loan hasnt been paid off by him but the title is still in my name?) (what if he hasnt paid off the car and defaulted on the loan on purpose and I claim it?)
Isn't it a bit foolish to consider incurring the expense of retrieving an impounded vehicle in order to returning it to the person that abandoned it?

Not to mention that you give not indication here of having proof ownership.

Also odd is your ignorance of the status of the credit union loan and whether or not you co-signed or guaranteed it. It strikes me that ascertaining that should have priority over your proposed acts of kindness that aren't apt to be appreciated anyway.

The picture of course could change should the loan be in default and you are on it. But the fact that you haven't been dunned for it makes it seem unlikely.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">