• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get my deposit back?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cyclecrazy55

What is the name of your state? NJ
I recently visited with a photgrapher in order to have my wedding pictures taken. I was satisfied with his sample albums and subsequently I gave a deposit in order to "hold" the day for me. I didn't ask if the deposit was refundable, nor did they specify it. I picked a package that I liked and when the written contract was sent, the price doubled. Obviously we had a miscommunication about the price and package. At the time I was upset about the switch and requested my deposit back. They said that I can't have it back. Is there a legal way to resolve this or do I have to live and learn.

JETX

cyclecrazy55 said:
Is there a legal way to resolve this or do I have to live and learn.
Several factors determine your chance of success:
1) If you can PROVE to a court that the price changed between the deposit and the written contract (unlikely), you might have a chance at getting a judgment from the court.
2) How many days between the contract problem and the actual day of the wedding? If far enough for the photographer to rebook someone else, the court will likely award a refund on the basic premise that the photographer cannot keep the deposit as 'damages', if they aren't damaged.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">