• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I request to be sued?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

msariel

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

here is the story, short and simple...my ex roommate purchased a car (93 Honda Accord LX) with the intent of me driving it bc i gave my new car to my parents to take over the pymts for a few mths bc they needed a smaller car and i needed trans. 3-4 weeks after the car was purchased for 2350.00 (in his name) the motor and air conditioning went out and he decided to get the motor rebuilt (2500.00). well we made an agreement that i would purchase the car from him for (5500.00). he typed up a contract and we both signed it...well a week after the motor was fixed the car stopped cranking and i would have to get jumped off everyday. after being late to numerous events and work. i decided to give my parents my car and purchase a newer model. i did not trade the car in bc i had not even started paying on it yet and it is still in my parents backyard til this day and wont start! my fathers friend wants to buy the car but will only give 1500.00 for it bc it wont start. the roommate wont sell it even if i find someone who will give 5000.00 for it bc he said he wants me to pay for it as long as possible (we had a huge falling out if you havent figured that out)..anyway..to my orig question...can i req to be sued so i can be through with him? how much do they usually garnish from paychecks? i need help! i cant drive the car, i cant sell it! what do i do?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So, you KNOW you owe the money and you want to be sued so you'll be "done with him"? What makes you think you'll be done with him?

tranquility

Your story was pretty complex and I'm not sure I understand, but why don't you just stop paying him or communicating with him on the matter? At some point he'll sue you or he'll wait too long to sue and be SOL because of the SOL.

msariel

there is no other reason for us to talk. everything else we had together has been ceased (bank accts, lease, phone contracts, etc) im not trying to get out of paying the money. i just dont see why he wont take the money if i find someone to pay the 5000.00 for the car. it shouldnt matter how he gets it as long as he gets it right? he knows that i have realized the mistake i made and he is pissed that i bought a new car and he is being ugly about it.

msariel

Your story was pretty complex and I'm not sure I understand, but why don't you just stop paying him or communicating with him on the matter? At some point he'll sue you or he'll wait too long to sue and be SOL because of the SOL.
what do you mean "wait too long to sue and be SOL"?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">