• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue the manufacturer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

courtnees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

I have a vehicle that has a defect. The defect causes the car not to start, which means that it is inoperable. I have found that other people have this same car and same problem. I found out that my case does not qualify under my state's lemon law, due to mileage and the "as is" warranty. However, does that mean that the manufacturer gets away with selling this defective vehicle? What are my rights as a used car owner? Can I sue the manufacturer, or do I just need to stop wasting my time and get another car? At this point, I do not know what to do next. It seems to me that I do not have a case, but doesn't the Uniform Commercial Code protect purchases like this?

You Are Guilty

Depending on the age of the car, the specific defect and how much money you have to waste, you may have a claim under the Magnuson-Moss Act (google it).

justalayman

Depending on the age of the car, the specific defect and how much money you have to waste, you may have a claim under the Magnuson-Moss Act (google it).
YAG, are you playing with this guy?

He wants to sue the manufacturer, not the seller of the vehicle and he bought the car with an expressed warranty of "as is".

what he wants to do is sue the manufacturer for defective engineering because the starter problem he has is apparently common amongst this model of car.

lemon laws are not applicable due to mileage and the "as is" sale, to me, says lots and lots of miles.

So, am I really missing something here?

You Are Guilty

May <> do. But if the manufacturer is selling something with a known bad part that otherwise would have been covered by the warranty but for the mileage exclusion, it is possible. (Unlikely, especially not knowing what the exact problem is, but possible.)

Not like the OP is coming back, anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">