• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue my inter-state movers?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dpesce

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Colorado

I recently moved from CO to CT. I hired a moving company that facilitaed the entire move and loaded the truck in CO. They grossly underestimated the size of the truck they ordered and I had to give away a number of my belongings last minute and incurred additional expenses paying someone to crate and ship personal belongings. Additionally, the loaders were careless with a number of items they did not wrap which were damaged in transit.

Originally, when qualifying the movers, I asked if they were insured. When I approched them about the damaged goods and their underestimated truck size, they would not return any of my calls or emails. When I finally tracked them down, they told me I had to give them 30 days to respond, which I did. They are now declared bankrupt and the owner of the business will not allow me to make an insurance claim for the damaged items even though he states that inurance was in place during the move. Can I go after the owner of this moving company to recover damages I incurred due to their mis-calculation and for the damaged goods? Total worth is about $3,000.

Thanks!
Damon

shortbus

If the business was incorporated, the owner is insulated from liability.

If the business was not incorporated, you can sue the owner -- but if the "business" is bankrupt, then he's bankrupt.

Either way, you probably can win a judgment but you're unlikely to collect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">