• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue an Oniline Univ for failure to follow financial aid disbursement practices

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

henders554

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My name is Brenda Henderson and in 2006 I decided to return to college and earn my Bachelor degree. I enrolled at the University of Phoenix, Oakland, CA campus. The tuition at the time was $1557.00 per class. It was necessary to secure student loans from different financial institutions. During orientation it was explained to me the funds were to be used for the cost of classes as well as any expenses related to school (i.e. books, computer, supplies, etc). Also, during orientation it was explained that students have the right to request release of secured funds and manage their own financial obligations personally. In August 2008 I had a balance of $4289.25.00 on the books, during this time I was enrolled in online classes using my personal computer to complete the class assignments. Two weeks into the class my computer crashed, needing funds to repair or replace I contacted my financial counselor to request the funds so that I could complete the class with a passing grade, as my current GPA was 368 I feared it would lower with a failing grade. My request was denied, citing the funds were being held for the costs of upcoming classes. Needless to say I failed the class receiving a grade of "F". Disgusted with the financial counselor's refusal of my request I never returned to the school. Within a month the school kept $960.75 and returned the excess funds to the financial institutions and billed me for a shortfall of $596.25. I wrote a letter to complained to the Student Complaint department, who wrote back supporting the counselor actions, citing the monies I had secured were to used for cost of upcoming classes. The school has since placed the debt in the hands of a collection agency as well as reported the debt negatively on my credit report.

I now owe over $25,000.00 in student loans and no degree to show for it as well as a negative debt on my credit file, my transcripts from UOP are being held hostage until I pay the demanded $596.25. I feel the school has taken advantage of me and violated my rights to a college education.

I feel I should not be liable for the shortfall, as it could have been avoided if the funds had been released, my computer repaired and completing the class with a decent grade thereby finishing my remaining courses and graduating. I am currently enrolled at Berkeley City College and will have enough credits to graduate with an Associate Degree in December 2009 and transfer to a 4 year University to complete my Bachelors degree.

I would like to know if you can help resolve this problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">