• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be sued for not having a receipt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

eddie3625

PA:
I purchased a used car for $12000. I gave them a $3000 cash downpayment. The dealership's accounting dept. now (30 days later) claims that I never gave them the money. I don't have the receipt that they are asking for. I'm not sure if I lost it or if I was never given it. However, I do have the Vheicle Purchase Contract and the Retail Installment Contract, both of which show I gave a $3000 deposit. Because it was cash, I do not have a returned check. They are now planning to take me to court. Aren't the contracts I have proof enough that I paid? i am definitely not giving them another $3000.

L

loku

The strength of the contracts as proof depends on their exact wording. That may be enough to win for you. The fact that you have no receipt is some evidence against you because it is reasonable to assume people will not lose such receipts.

E

eddie3625

Thank you for the reply.
The wording is as follows.
Total Cash Price: $15385
Tax: $533.10
Total cash Price: $15978.10
Cash down at closing: $3000
Deferred downpayment due: N/A
Total down payment: $3000
Unpaid Balance: $12978.10 .
I'm not certain if i ever received a receipt from them.

Last edited:
L

loku

Frankly, I'm not sure what a court would decide in this case.

gowest

loku...

If eddie was allowed to leave the auto dealership with the car, wouldn't that be a "fact" in his favor? Would the dealership allow someone to take possession of a vehicle for 30 days with no downpayment?

Also, if the purchase contract signed by both parties does indeed say: "Unpaid Balance", and that amount reflects the price of the car minus $3,000 - wouldn't that be all the proof needed?

This seems so simple to me... am I missing something?

L

loku

gowest. You gave the evidence for one side of this. What you are missing is the evidence for the other side.

M

Mr.WiseNice Guy

unpaid balance

TOTAL CASH PRICE: 15,978.10
UNPAID BALANCE: 12,978.10

If the UNPAID BALANCE is 12,978.10
then logically therefore the PAID BALANCE is: 3,000.00

if you had not paid the dealer 3,000 then the contract would have read 15,978.10 for UNPAID BALANCE.

where is the confusion?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">