• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a non profit org use small claims court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LCinTraining

What is the name of your state? PA

Our church is in the middle of a 6 month 4K nightmare. We ordered a sign from a company in the next state over (we are right on the border of OH). Payed 4K for it and were told it would be delivered in October. Come december and many unreturned phone calls we find out they outsourced the sign to a co. in FL who has since filed bankruptcy due to Hurricain Ivan and our sign is one of the last the court forced them to complete. Finally at the end of Dec. the sign is delivered, wrong color, scratched and looks about 200 dollars worth. On calling to return, ran around again only to have them send someone out to fix it. This person however said it was too badly damaged and that he wouldn't touch it...took pictures and left. After a few more months and run arounds we finally get them to take the sign back and are told the money would be credited to our account by Friday. That was 2 weeks ago. Our church is a small church w/o a lot of resources and now we are out 4K need a new sign and have no way to purchase. Using a lawyer will take up half of that cost since we are working w/ 3 diff. states. Is it possible for this case to go before small claims court? I'm upset b/c I feel this company has just taken advantage of our good graces and I just really want us to be able to move on and finish the process that was started last year. Any help is greatly appreciated.

matti422

Funny how "good graces" and "business" don't always go together. There is no reason a non-profit can't go to small claims court. Check the contract to make sure it specified quality requirements of the sign.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">