• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can public golf course refuse me membership?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

luciacovelli

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I provided gardening services as an independent contractor at a local golf course for 12 years. Last August, I was fired by the superintendent over a personal dispute. He refused to return $3,000 he owed me. (This was a personal loan and not work related.) I filed suit for collection of my $3,000 in District Court. My attorney requested a jury trial. The defendant intends to drag this out and my lawyer says it will be several months before we actually go to trial.

I occasionally visit the golf course, but the superintendent has obviously warned his work crew to shun me. Still, the members are friendly as are the employees who do not work under the superintendent. He is openly hostile to me and I have received letters from his attorney threatening to "take legal action" against me for "harassing" him and his employees. His allegations are absurd, as I have not had any interaction with him. When I asked his employees if they considered my visits and gifts of baked goods (something I always did when I worked there) as "harassment," they said no. I never linger or keep them from work. I say hello, deliver my brownies and leave.

I recently inquired about advertised memberships, and was told they still had some available. I would like to know if they can deny my paid membership without reason. As far as I know, there is no screening process for this Monday thru Thursday membership, which entitles members to play golf on these days throughout the season. Can a public golf course legally deny membership to an individual without reason? All information is appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">