• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they legally have this return policy?

• Thread starter FrustratedBuyer
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

FrustratedBuyer

State: Indiana

On a visit to a national chain store I was handed a new return policy statement. One of the policies is that if you purchase a Holiday or seasonal item (lawn and garden, patio, christmas, halloween merchandise, etc), even if you have your original receipt and are returning within the stated 90 days, if the merchandise is currently on clearance you will only be paid the clearance price and not the full purchase price.

I can't see how they can legally do this? If I paid full price and have proof I should be able to receive full price. Any insight you can provide would be appreciated.

racer72

The return policy of all retailers is a courtesy to the customers, not a legal requirement. Legally, once something is sold, the store does not have to accept anything back for a refund. I would have to assume this new policy was caused by the large number of folks that rent items for holidays, buy a decoration, use it during the holiday, then return it for a refund after the holiday. This retailers return policy is well within their rights.

F

FrustratedBuyer

I guess being an honest consumer I never looked at it that way. I wouldn't dream of using something and then returning it but I suppose there are some people that would. I will just have to look for a retailer that has a policy that I agree with and shop there.

Thanks for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">