• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can we Evict

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SherryStyles4U

My mother has a rental in which the tenant has not paid any rent since july and only half of july's rent . Can she evict them with an eviction notice herself or does it have to served through the court, or lawyer. She hates to get a lawyer because it seems most landlords does not have any luck getting what is owed to them even if you do take them to court. This is in the state of Ohio

J

JimW5575

My parents ran an apartment building in Lakewood, OH for over 26 years, so I may be able to offer you some help.

Here's how it works, and it's up to you how you want to handle it.

She should serve a 3 day eviction notice for non-payment of rent. If the person does not leave within the 3 days, you can get a court order and have them legally removed and the place will be padlocked by a baliff. They're given a timeframe to vacate the premises. Then, they have to come to you to get their stuff out and you can be done with them. If they don't come to you and retrieve their stuff within the timeframe, they forfeit the property. Unfortunately, though, it can take a couple months to get a court date if it comes to that.

As for the lost rent, unless you have the money for attorney's fees and court costs, and are prepared for months of court visits, forget it. It's not worth the time and effort, and like your mother says, most landlords never get it back even WITH a court order.

Hope this helps........I am NOT an attorney though, so don't take this as sound legal advice. This is what I've seen done in my parent's apt complex.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">