• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cancel Bally's Month to Month Membership w/o Contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Runner99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I have a Bally's Month-to-Month nationwide $0 Enrollment membership with no long term contract. (Minimum is 2 months at the gym, since I am required to pay first and last month's dues.)

I signed _nothing_ except for the credit card slip charging me with the membership card and the first + last month dues. They have a copy of my driver's license and my credit card information. However, I have no contract, so does that let Bally delay/deny any cancellation policy for me?

When I signed up at the club, I was given a copy of the document that authorizes them to withdraw monthly payments from my credit card in their Easy Monthly Payment Plan (EMPP)- which is not signed. Even though it says "contract" on the top of the pages, the Corporate rep said that it doesn't apply to me because I don't have a long-term contract with the club- it is basically a "Membership Agreement," which is also written on top of the page.

This "Membership Agreement" says that after I mail them my cancellation letter (Bally rep told me all I need to do is put my membership ID and reason for cancelling, even though I do not have to prove death/disability or move to a location more than 25 miles from any Bally or affiliate). The only cancellation fee mentioned discusses "10% of total contract price" which refers to long term contracts such as 3 year memberships.

I have called Corporate 5x to make sure I am doing everything right with my cancellation letter and had it notarized and sent it with certified mail + Return Receipt. According to their "Membership Agreement," they will postmark a Cancellation Acknowledgement to my address within 10 business days. This will effectively end my Easy Monthly Payment Plan (EMPP).

I am confused. This "Contract" / "Membership Agreement" isn't signed by me so does that mean that Bally is not bound to mail me my Cancellation Acknowledgement?

All the reps (whose ID numbers I recorded) reassured me that I am not bound to clauses in the "Contract" /"Membership Agreement" such as proving death/disability/move to area too far from Bally nor a ridiculous requirement to buy at minimum 1 personal training session each week.

Reps told me to call Corporate again if I don't get this Cancellation Acknowledgement in 15 business days (10 business days to postmark it, 5 days to account for mail delivery). IF Bally does the runaround, ie. ignore my requests or lie that it mailed the Acknowledgement but it most likely got lost, what can I do to resolve this?

Last edited:

swalsh411

At this point you have not shown a reasonable belief that Bally's will not allow you to cancel your membership. If you do as they say and they continue to charge your card, file a dispute with your credit card company.

Last edited:

QSTERLING

i had a similar membership with Gold's Gym. If you go to the site and explain they can send paperwork to the "home office' to stop the deductions from your account.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">