+ Reply to Thread
    BND55 is offline Junior Member

Cancel contract with HUGHESNET

What is the name of your state? IL.
    We have been a customer of Direcway, now Hughesnet, for the last eight years. We received and offer in the mail on a post card to upgrade to a faster modem. So, we went online, read the claims that this modem is will give us faster downloads and uploads for the low price of $25.00 shipping and handling plus a 15 month commitment.

OK.....So we signed up online. I must also mention that we are paying an extra $10.00 a month for the "Better" "Pro" service. Better than what? The only thing different than what we were paying $10.00 a month less for is the fact that we get "kicked off" the internet for 24 hours if we download too much. And, our email now works some of the time.

We have called and complained, but they are not offering us any resolve. Hughesnet says that we will have to pay a $300.00 cancellation fee to get out of the contract. We were not aware of this internet sharing limit that we now have with the new contract. It was never explained to us or we would not have gotten the new "free" modem.

Is there a way to cancel with Hughesnet without paying the fee? This new modem has cost us too much lost time as it is. We want out of Hughesnet!

Anyone know what we can do about this? Please let us know.
    Thanks
    racer72 is offline Senior Member
    We were not aware of this internet sharing limit that we now have with the new contract. It was never explained to us or we would not have gotten the new "free" modem.
    I would bet that it is in the TOS or user agreement you agreed to but did not read.

Anyone know what we can do about this?
    Pay the $300.
    If you feel my answer is rude, mean, snarky or in anyway not to your liking, I did my job. You don't need to tell me.

No private messages, I do not reply to them.
    Andy0192 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BND55 View Post
    **************.. It was never explained to us or we would not have gotten the new "free" modem.

Is there a way to cancel with Hughesnet without paying the fee? This new modem has cost us too much lost time as it is. We want out of Hughesnet!

Anyone know what we can do about this? Please let us know.
    Thanks
    Have you offered to return the 'free' modem & go back to your service (and contract) as it was before you accepted their offer?

Usually, you can recoup some of your investment by selling off the old equipment on ebay if you can't return it for credit/refund.

Good luck.

-Andy
    BND55 is offline Junior Member
    No, we haven't tried that yet but we sure will give it a chance. We never thought about eBay either. Is that legal to sell the equipment? Never thought we would be in this situation over internet connection. Live and learn.
    Thanks for a logical reply. I knew there would be one out there somewhere!
    bgriffin is offline Junior Member

Hughes Net Comment

FYI, Hughes Net is not what it advertises, Hi speed internet from them is a joke, I paid for the equipment and installation $450.00, 3 months of service. Sure I signed a contract for 2 years and was well intended to honor this contract. Hughes Net did not hold up there end of this contract, the service was almost non existant. I called them I dont know how many times and was always directed to service which was in India, could not understand them. I got so frustrated one day when it took over 25 minutes to log onto my bank account. I called to cancel it, they told me I had signed this contract, I said yes I did as well as you agreed to provide me with internet service, I pay/you provide.. All I got from them was Im sorry ma'am but you will have to pay the service termination fee of $300.00. I told them I would not, they sent me an invoice, I in turn sent them one, for 3 months of non service and the equipment fee. My question is, is my computer generated invoice as valid as theirs?
    Indiana Filer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgriffin View Post
    FYI, Hughes Net is not what it advertises, Hi speed internet from them is a joke, I paid for the equipment and installation $450.00, 3 months of service. Sure I signed a contract for 2 years and was well intended to honor this contract. Hughes Net did not hold up there end of this contract, the service was almost non existant. I called them I dont know how many times and was always directed to service which was in India, could not understand them. I got so frustrated one day when it took over 25 minutes to log onto my bank account. I called to cancel it, they told me I had signed this contract, I said yes I did as well as you agreed to provide me with internet service, I pay/you provide.. All I got from them was Im sorry ma'am but you will have to pay the service termination fee of $300.00. I told them I would not, they sent me an invoice, I in turn sent them one, for 3 months of non service and the equipment fee. My question is, is my computer generated invoice as valid as theirs?
    Please start your own post instead of posting on an old dead thread.
    bgriffin is offline Junior Member
    Thank you for your quick and sharp advice