• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Canceled membership and still billed to my expired credit card both in March and Apri

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mb45

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I cancelled my gym membership in Feb. I was not worried as my credit card on the account expired that month. In March the fees showed up. Called my bank to disput this, which they credited and supposedly blocked that creditor. In April I received a request for my new information as they could not get paid. After checking my credit card account I found that they submitted for both March and April and that I had done this payment in-person. I have not been back to the gym since Feb.

Finally speaking to someone from the gym's main office.(only number on the new info request slip) They said that the bank had to give them ( the local office ) the info. (I don't believe so)

Any other creditor that I have using that charge card has called me up before the card expires. Do we now have a problem with these electronic transactions that expiration dates now mean nothing? How does one do an in-person transaction without being there?

I am at a loss on what should I do. Call consumer protections, the Bank, the police, a lawyer (what kind)?

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I cancelled my gym membership in Feb. I was not worried as my credit card on the account expired that month. In March the fees showed up. Called my bank to disput this, which they credited and supposedly blocked that creditor. In April I received a request for my new information as they could not get paid. After checking my credit card account I found that they submitted for both March and April and that I had done this payment in-person. I have not been back to the gym since Feb.

Finally speaking to someone from the gym's main office.(only number on the new info request slip) They said that the bank had to give them ( the local office ) the info. (I don't believe so)

Any other creditor that I have using that charge card has called me up before the card expires. Do we now have a problem with these electronic transactions that expiration dates now mean nothing? How does one do an in-person transaction without being there?

I am at a loss on what should I do. Call consumer protections, the Bank, the police, a lawyer (what kind)?
Did you PROPERLY cancel the gym membership? You need to read through the contract you signed. Just because you said to cancel doesn't mean that it will happen. Some contracts require you to submit a cancellation request a certain amount of time in advance, IN WRITING, before a cancellation becomes effective.

If you didn't properly cancel the membership according to the terms of the contract, that would explain why they keep billing you - and why they will CONTINUE to keep billing you until you pay, or you fulfill the terms of the contract or cancellation requirements.

Also note that just cancelling the credit card won't necessarily get you off the hook, either. The gym could end up suing you for the unpaid membership fees if they are still entitled to collect them.

mb45

What has me upset the most is the " IN PERSON TRANSACTION ". How did they do it? Any additional services I had to sign for in the past.

Unless that was the cancelation paperwork which I did in person. I still should have not been charged for April.

swalsh411

So you are saying you are out money or they just tried to charge your card and could not? If the former, the dispute those charges as well. If the later, you have no damages.

If you did not properly cancel your membership or still were under contract they could sue you.

Don't get hung up on the "in person" thing it's not relevant.

mb45

I did the paperwork in Feb and then in March had the credit card block the merchant and reverse the charges ( I gave them the info of all that happened) Today I spoke to the dispute dept of my credit card and they will reverse it as they had the previous dispute. Do I now get a new card or leave it to see if they try again and triple bill for May?

Just Blue

So you are saying you are out money or they just tried to charge your card and could not? If the former, the dispute those charges as well. If the later, you have no damages.

If you did not properly cancel your membership or still were under contract they could sue you.

Don't get hung up on the "in person" thing it's not relevant.
Read the read History. Will clarify this OP POV.;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">