• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cancellation of auto sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coach2u

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Michigan
I agreed to buy a van for $400 and put a $300 deposit and got a reciept but I changed my mind and want my deposit back. But the seller will not give it back. also the title is in someone elses name (his friend) and he never switched the title over to his name, it's been about 6 months since he's had the vehicle. Now on the reciept he gave me he signed his ( the one that's not on the title) name.What can I do to get my deposit back? Is this legal?
thank you,
coach2u

shortbus

It's NOT legal for you to breach the contract by "changing your mind".

It IS legal for him to withhold title until you pay for the car.

It is NOT legal for him to hold onto your $300 if you've signaled you plan to breach the contract. He's only entitled to damages from your failure to buy it, which may or may not be $300. In which case you're headed to small claims court to make a restitution claim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">