• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cancelling contract due to health reasons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lal5858

Over a year ago I signed a 3 year contract with a karate studio agreeing to pay a monthly fee. Since then, I have had knee surgery, have found that I had unknowingly had a compression fracture of a lower back-bone and have been advised that participation in karate may aggravate or cause trauma to my back or knee. Can I cancel the contract due to health reasons?

(Georgia)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

You could ask the other party, but if he/she says "No", then you're on the hook.

Your health problems are not their concern or problem. All they know is that there's a signed contract, and that they are ready, willing, and able to perform their end of the bargain.

You might want to show the other party a copy of your medical records to prove what you are saying, and perhaps that will help you to "pull on their heart strings", and they just might rescind the contract voluntarily.

If they do cancel the contract, ask for some sort of proof in writing, signed and dated. Perhaps, written across the face of your contract, they could put a line through it, and write the word "Cancelled", along with a date and signature.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">