• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can't get paid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kram

What is the name of your state? Colorado

In April, I signed a written contract to design and develop a Web site for a non-profit organization of which a friend of mine is president. My fee was $500. At the time of signing, there was an informal discussion concerning payment. The president suggested I get half immediately and the second half in August, when another contractor was scheduled to complete her work, which would then be posted to the Web site. I said I thought this arrangement would be OK. No formal payment terms are included in the signed contract.

I completed the Web site in mid-April, and it has been available on the Internet since then. All tasks associated with what is covered by my $500 fee -- and specified in the contract -- have been completed.

Last week I asked my friend, the president, if I could get the remaining $250 that is owed to me. He said, "no," because a contractor does not get paid until the contract has been fulfilled. I explained to him that, in fact, I had completed the work, as evidenced by the fully functioning Web site. He then switched gears and said that I could not get paid because in April I had agreed to wait until August.

The treasurer of the organization told me that the only conditions under which he could issue a check to me were:
-- If the President (my friend) authorizes it
-- If the Board of Directors authorizes it (they do not meet until sometime on August)
-- If payment terms in a valid contract specify it.

So, to review the facts:
-- I have completed my work on the project.
-- There are no payment terms specified in the written contract.
-- Payment terms were agreed to in informal discussions.
-- The only person who can authorize payment is my friend, the president, who refuses to do so.

Can my friend legally withhold the money from me? What recourse do I have?

Please help!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">