• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dixiemon

What is the name of your state? Texas

Went to the dealership and test drove a used vehicle. Did not have a job at the time and no means of paying for it but signed a contract anyway at the urging of the salesman. Never took delivery of the car but I did leave the title of my truck with the dealership. They did arrange financining but I told them since I had no means to pay I could not accept the car. The response was to put a repo order on my vehicle. I don't know where to turn now, the auto finance company apparently did not know that I am unemployed and had no means to pay.
When my wife called to ask why her name was signed to the title and why they would not return it, she was told that I had accepted delivery of the car and had indeed driven it for several days. Not true. That the signature was something she needed to take up with me since she did not sign it. I cannot afford the car and only signed the contract in a time of confusion. I suffer from severe depression and have had a recent hospitalization for this condition. In other words I wasn't aware of what I was doing.
Question: How can I retrieve the title to my truck?
Can the dealership hold me responsible for payment on a vehicle I never took delivery of?
Does my wife have any recourse since she did not sign off on the title?
My contract states that I can change my mind but the dealership is not allowing this and instead trying to force me accept delivery of a car I can't afford by forcibly taking possession of my truck and leaving me without transportation.
They have not been able to take my truck and will not be able to find it, but I no longer have the use of it as it is in storage. This has been going on for months and I would like to have it resolved but the dealership will not speak with me.
Surely there are consumer rights here, but I don't know where to look to find out what my rights are.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">