• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car damaged in loading on transporter. Who's fault?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Torakki

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca. I'd sold a car that will be shipped over seas. The before loading onto the transporter, there was an inspection for any damage, scratches and chips. My car had no damage. The driver asked me to help him load it and I agreed but told him, the car is very low and don't think it will go up the ramps and over the wheel humps. We used two short ramps to get onto main metal ramps. The metal ramps drop down about 2" when a car goes over them. I told the driver, I had some blocks to keep the ramps from dropping. Driver said, he had some wood also. Driver also claimed, he'd been doing this for 9 years. I backed the car onto the ramps and when the tires came to the metal ramps (part of the trailer), the front of the car dropped down and the nose of the car hit the ramp and cracked the fender (fiberglass body work). I immediately ask for the inspection report and he goes to the cab to get it, and when I see it, he already added the new damage. Then the driver was getting angry with me for taking photos of ramps, truck, trailer and damage. I'm now waiting for company to call me back.
Who's fault is this?
Thanks for any advice.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca. I'd sold a car that will be shipped over seas. The before loading onto the transporter, there was an inspection for any damage, scratches and chips. My car had no damage. The driver asked me to help him load it and I agreed but told him, the car is very low and don't think it will go up the ramps and over the wheel humps. We used two short ramps to get onto main metal ramps. The metal ramps drop down about 2" when a car goes over them. I told the driver, I had some blocks to keep the ramps from dropping. Driver said, he had some wood also. Driver also claimed, he'd been doing this for 9 years. I backed the car onto the ramps and when the tires came to the metal ramps (part of the trailer), the front of the car dropped down and the nose of the car hit the ramp and cracked the fender (fiberglass body work). I immediately ask for the inspection report and he goes to the cab to get it, and when I see it, he already added the new damage. Then the driver was getting angry with me for taking photos of ramps, truck, trailer and damage. I'm now waiting for company to call me back.
Who's fault is this?
Thanks for any advice.
You are responsible.

Torakki

Hum? my fault? The company thinks it's their fault because they have now said, damage was there before they got there and that they don't take photos of cars. The driver took photos of every scratch and chip and now they (the photos) don't exist. Hum? They've accused me of lying and committing fraud on their company which is 2 months old. They already have one negative feedback on non-pickup. I have audio recordings of them contradicting themselves and accusing me of lying. If anyone is going to ship a car, please send me a message on what companies to avoid from Philadelphia. Yes, as Zigner says, I'm responsible. I guess I am......

Indiana Filer

Hum? my fault? The company thinks it's their fault because they have now said, damage was there before they got there and that they don't take photos of cars. The driver took photos of every scratch and chip and now they (the photos) don't exist. Hum? They've accused me of lying and committing fraud on their company which is 2 months old. They already have one negative feedback on non-pickup. I have audio recordings of them contradicting themselves and accusing me of lying. If anyone is going to ship a car, please send me a message on what companies to avoid from Philadelphia. Yes, as Zigner says, I'm responsible. I guess I am......
You're responsible since YOU loaded the vehicle on to the ramps. You were driving.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">