• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car deal with negative equity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

x11

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hello all,

I would like to know what are my options regarding this deal.

Last Friday I for a call from my local Hyundai dealer telling me that they wanted to buy my car and get me into a new one. Recently my wife started complaining about her (leased) car been too small, so I decided to by the dealer and listen to the offer.

We talked for a bit about my needs etc etc after I told them the car I wanted for my wife they proceeded to build an offer. The sales person pitch me the deal but the payment was to high for the 2015 car I wanted, so I went with the exact same car but 2014 to lower the monthly payment. Now I sit with the sale manager and he pitched me the new offer, he tole me he was going to pay off my car and that with $2500 down I was going to be able to drive home with a new car. After all was said and done my payment went up $74 per month, which was not bad. When I sat down with the finance guy I started buy telling him that he had to be really clear when explaining me all the charges (I'm one of those guys that can't understand dealer paper work) he went over the charges and I said OK. then a lady come over with all the papers to sign and noticed that the amount was higher the what I was (price tag) told. She called the sales manager and he kinda explain me everything really quick and showed me that my payment didn't change. I proceed to sign and drove away with a new car.... they kept all my copies of the contract until I bring some paper and the other key for the old car.

Sunday, I drop by dealer to drop the key and pickup the copies and I wad the chance to speak to a different finance guy and I ask him to explain me why the amount was higher once more time. He process to tell me that the only reason why the amount was higher was because the old car had $10k negative equity and that was transferred to the new lease.

Now my question....

Can they do that? When they told me that they were paying off the car I understood they were taking care of everything, at no point the sales person, sales manager or the first finance guy ever mention that they were putting negative equity into the new lease.

Today I had the chance to talk to the sales manager and he seem confuse by my complaint and basically told me that there is nothing he can do, I can't return the car and to enjoy it.

What are my options?

TIA!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hello all,

I would like to know what are my options regarding this deal.

Last Friday I for a call from my local Hyundai dealer telling me that they wanted to buy my car and get me into a new one. Recently my wife started complaining about her (leased) car been too small, so I decided to by the dealer and listen to the offer.

We talked for a bit about my needs etc etc after I told them the car I wanted for my wife they proceeded to build an offer. The sales person pitch me the deal but the payment was to high for the 2015 car I wanted, so I went with the exact same car but 2014 to lower the monthly payment. Now I sit with the sale manager and he pitched me the new offer, he tole me he was going to pay off my car and that with $2500 down I was going to be able to drive home with a new car. After all was said and done my payment went up $74 per month, which was not bad. When I sat down with the finance guy I started buy telling him that he had to be really clear when explaining me all the charges (I'm one of those guys that can't understand dealer paper work) he went over the charges and I said OK. then a lady come over with all the papers to sign and noticed that the amount was higher the what I was (price tag) told. She called the sales manager and he kinda explain me everything really quick and showed me that my payment didn't change. I proceed to sign and drove away with a new car.... they kept all my copies of the contract until I bring some paper and the other key for the old car.

Sunday, I drop by dealer to drop the key and pickup the copies and I wad the chance to speak to a different finance guy and I ask him to explain me why the amount was higher once more time. He process to tell me that the only reason why the amount was higher was because the old car had $10k negative equity and that was transferred to the new lease.

Now my question....

Can they do that? When they told me that they were paying off the car I understood they were taking care of everything, at no point the sales person, sales manager or the first finance guy ever mention that they were putting negative equity into the new lease.

Today I had the chance to talk to the sales manager and he seem confuse by my complaint and basically told me that there is nothing he can do, I can't return the car and to enjoy it.

What are my options?

TIA!
If you owe money on a car that you are trading in, and the amount you owe is greater than the value of the car, that is called negative equity. What the dealer does is pay off your loan, and then finance you for an additional amount equal to the negative equity. The dealer does not make you a present of the negative equity.

x11

If you owe money on a car that you are trading in, and the amount you owe is greater than the value of the car, that is called negative equity. What the dealer does is pay off your loan, and then finance you for an additional amount equal to the negative equity. The dealer does not make you a present of the negative equity.

Thanks for your answer.

I understand that the dealer did make me present. My complain is the they didn't mention anything regarding negative equity. If they tell me here is your negative equity added to the loan I would have said no to the deal.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks for your answer.

I understand that the dealer did make me present. My complain is the they didn't mention anything regarding negative equity. If they tell me here is your negative equity added to the loan I would have said no to the deal.
It was all in the paperwork you signed...which you had every opportunity to review and question BEFORE signing.

x11

It was all in the paperwork you signed...which you had every opportunity to review and question BEFORE signing.
So a dealer can con you all the way and because there is many stupid people like me that don't understand their paper work they can get away with it. I guess I'll have to hire a lawyer next time I'm buying a car. :(

thanks!

RRevak

So a dealer can con you all the way and because there is many stupid people like me that don't understand their paper work they can get away with it. I guess I'll have to hire a lawyer next time I'm buying a car. :(

thanks!
Sadly you are the exact type of customer every car dealer hopes for. If everyone caught them in their fun little sales games they would never sell cars. Next time you might want to consider bringing someone a bit more contract savvy with you to look over the parts you aren't sure about. It stinks that you got stuck.

Zigner

thanks!
Nobody conned you. Did you REALLY think they were going to just hand $10 grand over as an incentive for you to buy the car? If so, then I would suggest that you find someone to handle all of your financial affairs...you have no business buy a candy bar, much less a car.

OHRoadwarrior

There was no con involved. You made a bad choice on the first car and rolled your bad choice into the second car. It was still the same bad choice.

RRevak

There was no con involved. You made a bad choice on the first car and rolled your bad choice into the second car. It was still the same bad choice.
Not to mention that if your dealer specifically calls to try and "get you into a new car" the optimal response would be to laugh and then promptly hang up the phone. No dealer is going to call a customer specially unless there is something for them to gain and the customer to lose. I loathe buying from dealerships.

x11

Sadly you are the exact type of customer every car dealer hopes for. If everyone caught them in their fun little sales games they would never sell cars. Next time you might want to consider bringing someone a bit more contract savvy with you to look over the parts you aren't sure about. It stinks that you got stuck.
I definitely will, thanks!

x11

Nobody conned you. Did you REALLY think they were going to just hand $10 grand over as an incentive for you to buy the car? If so, then I would suggest that you find someone to handle all of your financial affairs...you have no business buy a candy bar, much less a car.
I was NEVER told there was a negative equity, so no I didn't ASSUME the dealer was going to hand me $10k...

Zigner

I was NEVER told there was a negative equity, so no I didn't ASSUME the dealer was going to hand me $10k...
You didn't know how much you owed on your car vs. how much it was worth? See my prior post.

LdiJ

So, you believed that your car was worth more than the amount you still owed on the loan? You didn't even look up the wholesale blue book value before you went to trade it in?

OHRoadwarrior

Also let me advise you of something else. Leasing a car, is usually a bad idea unless it is a company paid car and you are permitted to buy out the remainder of the car in the end for a cheap price. In the future, try going to a web site where you can sell your remaining lease term.

quincy

... In the future, try going to a web site where you can sell your remaining lease term.
Someone who feels "conned" in an in-person transaction where all is spelled out in a contract is probably not the type of person who should purchase or sell anything online.

RRevak's suggestion to have a knowledgeable person accompany x11 next time, to read over the contract and translate the terms, seems to be smart.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">