• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car dealer: Bait and Switch

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dkahlona

What is the name of your state? NY

On 9/1/03, I negotiated a car price for $13,321, excluding taxes and fees for a 2003 Hyundai GT 5dr with Nemet Autocenter on Hillside Ave & 153rd St, Jamaica, NY 718-523-5858. Netmet was linked by Carprice.com. The NEMET sales person, pulled up this adverised price and we negotiated from there. On 9/1, this Internet price was negotiated with the General Sales Manager Lou Pierro and in the presence of my salesperson, Cynthia Castillo, and a friend who'd accompanied me to the dealership to witness the work on the financial terms. Today 9/2/03, when I came to NEMET to sign the papers and pick up my car, the finance manager, Joe Hernandez, who wasn't in the dealership on Labor Day, switched the price and hiked the base to $16,200 excluding fees and tax ($3,000 more). Earlier in the day, I arranged for new car insurance. While I in the office with Mr. Hernandez, the license plates from my old car were switched to the new car, the cd player was removed from the old car (trade in), and I was shown how to use my new car, and the temporary registration sticker was going to be placed on my new car after all the papers were signed. Again, I merely was in the dealership today to sign the papers and pick up the car. Instead, Mr. Hernandez refused to allow me to sign the papers for the agreed upon price. He said he "REFUSED" to sell me the car for that low a price. Can he switch the price and then refuse to sell the car to me despite after an oral agreement has been made between the General Sales Manager and I? I had my financing from MCU. Mr. Hernandez said that since my financing was with NY MCU, he had to charge me more because MCU sets the price. When I got my award letter from NY MCU (Municipal Credit Union), I read nothing (including on their website) that said the prices of their cars were at a fixed price, To make matters humiliating and worse, neither Mr. Pierro or the other GSM Andrew Boswick would honor the oral contract today. Mr. Pierro refused to speak to me when I appealed to him to verify with Mr. Hernandez our agreed upon price. The other GSM laughed in my face,feigned ignorance, and refused to acknowledge the problem. He wouldn't even speak to me. I felt as if I had been thrown out on my bottom for trespassing. This was a bait and switch. Unfortunately, I must see these disreputable people tomorrow, 9/3. I have to return to the dealership for them to put back in my old car my cd player that was removed for the trade. I have blown the car rebates ending on 9/2. Sunday and Monday, NEMET knew they wouldn't honor the price. I should have been told that so that I could move on to other dealers to try to purchase a car. Now I can't take advantage of rebates this week when I search for a car. What is my legal recourse? I sent a complaint to BBB and NYCDCA. I also sent emails to t.v. stations telling them what happened to me.

N

nicegerbil

It seems to me that you have two choices:

1) Go to another brand since your history with Hyunday is not very good.

2) Accept the fact that without promises written down, verbal promises are non-binding.

I do have some questions:

1) Was the "manager" just a "closer" or the real manager?

2) Did you hear "If I could get this price?" or something similar?

3) Did you sign any papers at the time or just negotiate over a "foursquare" form?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">