• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car dealer bound by signed contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ktscarlett

What is the name of your state? Delaware

Here's the deal - my DH and I bought a 2003 Ford Ranger last week. We did not finance through the dealer, we went through the credit union (better rate!). When we'd talked earlie r in the week, they gave us a price of $15k (and that was when we were talking to them about financing). When we went to sign the paperwork Fri. night, it said $14k. I thought it was because we weren't financing through them, but basically paying cash. And they were also running a huge sale that day.

We told them the check was for 15k. No problem they say, we'll refund the 1k to you, only problem is, we can't cut a check tonight, our accounting dept is already closed. We'll have it for you Monday morning, first thing, pick it up at the receptionist's desk. They wrote right on the contract "$1000 due back to customer." Monday morning comes, H calls to ask if he can pick up the check, they say they don't usually cut checks until Friday, so we'll have to wait all week.

Then they call back and say they made a mistake on the paperwork, they gave us an incentive that they & DH had talked about, they shouldn't have, and that we owe them 2k more than we've already given them. They'll just keep the amount owed us and we can pay them the other 1k. We say no, everyone signed he paperwork with the price clearly stated as 14k. They say they made a mistake and we should have caught it, that we should have known better, but that they will 'forgive' us 1k and they'll still keep the check (the one they're supposed to give back to us) for the other 1k. We say that they need to abide by the contract they signed, and if they made a mistake, we did not know about it. They say *we're* trying to rook *them*.

When a contract is signed by all parties, do they have to abide by the price that *they* typed in and signed for? Or do we still owe them, even though it was their mistake? (I mean, 4 people at the dealership went over the paperwork and didn't see their 'mistake' Fri. night. How were *we* supposed to catch it????)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">