• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Dealer Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stiper2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CO
I recently was at car dealer and was making a deal on a car. We did the usual going back and forth with negotiating the deal. We wanted a couple accessories to be included in the deal but they would not agree to it. As we declined their deal, the sales person said I will throw in one of the items you want to make this deal happen and said not to say anything about it,but we still were not at a agreement on the price difference we had to finance so we left. WE told the salesman to go back and work the figures once again.
A couple hours later, we called the dealer and the salesman said YES, I got the accessories included and payment where we wanted.

The finance manager was taking a bit of time getting things together but calls us in and apologizes to us that he was trying to get a better interest rate and he was able to accomplish this with a coupon he gets from the finance company. We were in a bit if a time crunch and signed the papers and left. The next day I noticed on the Retail Purchase Agreement there were charges for the accessories in the amount financed. So I called the dealer and asked what happened there? Yes I know we should of looked at the retail agreement a tad closer before signing it. They said that they had to show it somewhere that those items were sold. I told them the verbal agreement was to be included at your cost as an incentive to purchase said car.

I got ahold of the General Manager of the store and told him what took place. He states to me that he was in on this deal and that he got the interest rate of the loan to the actual percentage on the contract before we even came back to the dealer. He went on on how great that deal was and couldn't do any better in the state of Colorado. I was at a loss when he said that he got the rate down when the finance manager said he got it down for one thing. I feel we were conned back back to the dealer on false pretenses of giving us the things we asked for but later turned around and charged for them.

I know we signed a legal documents. I also know there is a document that is called Disclosures as Part of A Motor Vehicle/Powersports Vehicle Sales Contract. Theres an item in that we initialed that states the Any fraud or misrepresentation in a motor vehicle sale is punishable under Colorado Law. I believe they misrepresented the deal to get us back into the showroom under false pretenses, lies so we would purchase the car. The manager clearly lied to us. Also the mileage on the trade in vehicle thats listed on the Retail Purchase agreement is wrong. Doesn't that have to agree to the actual mileage at time when it was traded in?? Its about 2000 miles incorrect. This is a legal document.

I asked the Manager to please return our trade in due to the above actions. He said he wanted us to be happy and that he would trade us out of the new car into something we wanted. AGAIN, i asked for our trade back. No response as of yet.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I recently was at car dealer and was making a deal on a car. We did the usual going back and forth with negotiating the deal. We wanted a couple accessories to be included in the deal but they would not agree to it. As we declined their deal, the sales person said I will throw in one of the items you want to make this deal happen and said not to say anything about it,but we still were not at a agreement on the price difference we had to finance so we left. WE told the salesman to go back and work the figures once again.
A couple hours later, we called the dealer and the salesman said YES, I got the accessories included and payment where we wanted.

The finance manager was taking a bit of time getting things together but calls us in and apologizes to us that he was trying to get a better interest rate and he was able to accomplish this with a coupon he gets from the finance company. We were in a bit if a time crunch and signed the papers and left. The next day I noticed on the Retail Purchase Agreement there were charges for the accessories in the amount financed. So I called the dealer and asked what happened there? Yes I know we should of looked at the retail agreement a tad closer before signing it. They said that they had to show it somewhere that those items were sold. I told them the verbal agreement was to be included at your cost as an incentive to purchase said car.

I got ahold of the General Manager of the store and told him what took place. He states to me that he was in on this deal and that he got the interest rate of the loan to the actual percentage on the contract before we even came back to the dealer. He went on on how great that deal was and couldn't do any better in the state of Colorado. I was at a loss when he said that he got the rate down when the finance manager said he got it down for one thing. I feel we were conned back back to the dealer on false pretenses of giving us the things we asked for but later turned around and charged for them.

I know we signed a legal documents. I also know there is a document that is called Disclosures as Part of A Motor Vehicle/Powersports Vehicle Sales Contract. Theres an item in that we initialed that states the Any fraud or misrepresentation in a motor vehicle sale is punishable under Colorado Law. I believe they misrepresented the deal to get us back into the showroom under false pretenses, lies so we would purchase the car. The manager clearly lied to us. Also the mileage on the trade in vehicle thats listed on the Retail Purchase agreement is wrong. Doesn't that have to agree to the actual mileage at time when it was traded in?? Its about 2000 miles incorrect. This is a legal document.

I asked the Manager to please return our trade in due to the above actions. He said he wanted us to be happy and that he would trade us out of the new car into something we wanted. AGAIN, i asked for our trade back. No response as of yet.
Enjoy your new car.

Stiper2

Ditto on enjoy your new car. They are professional sneaks. You need to catch them at it at the time of signing.
Yes I am well aware they are good at what they do. I was told to file a complaint at the BBB and also with Attorney generals office. I left the dealer once, shouldn't of gone back!

Last edited:

Zigner

Yes I am well aware they are good at what they do. I was told to file a complaint at the BBB and also with Attorney generals office.
A complaint about what? That you negotiated a deal and now feel that you got duped, even though EVERYTHING was clearly laid out in the contract that you signed & initialed in SEVERAL different places? Okeedokee

Stiper2

A complaint about what? That you negotiated a deal and now feel that you got duped, even though EVERYTHING was clearly laid out in the contract that you signed & initialed in SEVERAL different places? Okeedokee
A complaint that what was agreed upon to include in the deal did not happen. A complaint that theres tampering with an odometer statement. A complaint that they did not give us all the signed documents that were signed in the finance managers office. Which is required in the state of CO. I asked for the omitted docs and they did not give them to me.

Last edited:

Zigner

A complaint that what was agreed upon to include in the deal did not happen.
Well, except for the fact that the pesky contract contains language that said contract represents the final "deal" and that no other representations have been made outside of the contract.

A complaint that theres tampering with an odometer statement.
A clerical error

A complaint that they did not give us all the signed documents that were signed in the finance managers office. Which is required in the state of CO. I asked for the omitted docs and they did not give them to me.
Says the guy already making a false complaint (see item 1)

Stiper2

I Signed a buyers order that was to include the accessories in this deal at their cost. That was accepted. SO I agreed to purchase the car. Didn't happen. And of course I got a run around that they MAY HAVE GIVEN more on your trade to cover cost, but yet itemized in the Retail Agreement.
Well, except for the fact that the pesky contract contains language that said contract represents the final "deal" and that no other representations have been made outside of the contract.

A clerical error

Says the guy already making a false complaint (see item 1)

Last edited:

swalsh411

A complaint that what was agreed upon to include in the deal did not happen. A complaint that theres tampering with an odometer statement. A complaint that they did not give us all the signed documents that were signed in the finance managers office. Which is required in the state of CO. I asked for the omitted docs and they did not give them to me.
The deal is the contract you signed. Next time bring an adult who can read.

quincy

... We were in a bit if a time crunch and signed the papers and left. The next day I noticed on the Retail Purchase Agreement there were charges for the accessories in the amount financed. ...

... I know we signed a legal documents. I also know there is a document that is called Disclosures as Part of A Motor Vehicle/Powersports Vehicle Sales Contract. Theres an item in that we initialed that states the Any fraud or misrepresentation in a motor vehicle sale is punishable under Colorado Law. I believe they misrepresented the deal to get us back into the showroom under false pretenses, lies so we would purchase the car. The manager clearly lied to us. Also the mileage on the trade in vehicle thats listed on the Retail Purchase agreement is wrong. Doesn't that have to agree to the actual mileage at time when it was traded in?? Its about 2000 miles incorrect. This is a legal document. ...

... No response as of yet.
You could wait for a response from the dealership or you could have all of the documents personally reviewed by an attorney in your area. This personal review will be the only way to determine for sure if what you received is what was agreed to with your signature on the purchase agreement.

Although many people fail to read carefully the legal documents they sign before signing, they should realize that the legal documents they sign ARE legal documents and are legally binding on both parties and (generally) enforceable as written. Any verbal agreements made prior to signing will often mean nothing. When they sign and initial a legal document, they are agreeing to the terms and conditions as set forth in the written documents.

Good luck.

OHRoadwarrior

I have only gotten one vehicle contract rewritten after purchase. I had already beaten them up on price good. (I will share. Suffice to say the vehicle is now 2 years old and still books at trade in for what I paid.) They listed loan origination fees. We decided to finance part of it through one of the banks we deal with due to the really low rate the dealer offered, which was 1% lower than the bank was offering outright. I called the bank to ask if they would give me an additional 1/4 point if I allowed direct withdraw (I know I am cheap). In the discussion of rate and fees, she noted as current bank customers we should not have been charged a $100 bank origination fee by the dealer. They kicked the contract back to the dealer and made them remove the charge, so we had to resign the paperwork.

(BTW It is possible to buy new vehicles at up to 40% off MSRP IF you pick and choose the deals and know how to negotiate)

Last edited:

Stiper2

I have only gotten one vehicle contract rewritten after purchase. I had already beaten them up on price good. (I will share. Suffice to say the vehicle is now 2 years old and still books at trade in for what I paid.) They listed loan origination fees. We decided to finance part of it through one of the banks we deal with due to the really low rate the dealer offered, which was 1% lower than the bank was offering outright. I called the bank to ask if they would give me an additional 1/4 point if I allowed direct withdraw (I know I am cheap). In the discussion of rate and fees, she noted as current bank customers we should not have been charged a $100 bank origination fee by the dealer. They kicked the contract back to the dealer and made them remove the charge, so we had to resign the paperwork.

(BTW It is possible to buy new vehicles at up to 40% off MSRP IF you pick and choose the deals and know how to negotiate)
Thanks for sharing. The problem here is they said one thing, I left because they still hadn't discounted the car nor gave the additional items I had asked, but did attempt to keep me there by saying , salesman, I'll through this in, but we still left and told him t try a bit harder getting what we wanted. Then calling and they said he got the job done, payment where we wanted etc. Only to find out they said well we have to show that we sold those items. So I think we gave you more for your car to allow for those items you wanted. So they turn around and added the price of them back into the contract. Yes, our fault for not seeing that before we signed. We had trusted the sales person to be honest. Never disclosed to us when we signed the papers. Finance manager said he knew nothing of these accessories were to be included in the deal.
Should of just went home and stayed there.

justalayman

I Signed a buyers order that was to include the accessories in this deal at their cost. That was accepted. SO I agreed to purchase the car. Didn't happen. And of course I got a run around that they MAY HAVE GIVEN more on your trade to cover cost, but yet itemized in the Retail Agreement.
so, on this buyers agreement;

is the TOTAL cost different than what you signed for in the end?

If not, how they mix the numbers is irrelevant.

If you signed the final contract with different numbers than you were expecting based on the buyers order; why did you do that?

Stiper2

so, on this buyers agreement;

is the TOTAL cost different than what you signed for in the end?

If not, how they mix the numbers is irrelevant.

If you signed the final contract with different numbers than you were expecting based on the buyers order; why did you do that?
The buyers order just stated that I would except the deal if the accessories were included in the price of the car. Not added into the price. So when questioned, they said the just gave me more for the trade to cover the accessories then turned around and added them back into the Retail contract.. Yes, they just played with the figures. Bottom line was excepting the payment.

Last edited:

Zigner

The buyers order just stated that I would except the deal if the accessories were included in the price of the car. Not added into the price. So when questioned, they said the just gave me less for the trade to cover the accessories. Yes, they just played with the figures. Bottom line was excepting the payment.
So, you went in to buy a car for $25,000 (just picking a number out of the air) and you walked out buying a car for $25,000. Is that what you're saying?

ETA: Seriously? :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">