• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car dealer hiding something?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

A question I have here. If Im going to buy a used car at a dealer. Is the dealer supposed to let me know that a car I want to buy is a salvaged? Or if is not a salvage, are they manditated to let me know if the car has been in a big accident or has a record of one?

Example. I buy a car that is NOT salvage, but later I found a bent frame etc etc indicating an accident.

ecmst12

You need to do your own research, title check and carfax report, prior to purchasing. If you don't do your research, the dealer doesn't have to do it for you.

Mass_Shyster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

A question I have here. If Im going to buy a used car at a dealer. Is the dealer supposed to let me know that a car I want to buy is a salvaged? Or if is not a salvage, are they manditated to let me know if the car has been in a big accident or has a record of one?

Example. I buy a car that is NOT salvage, but later I found a bent frame etc etc indicating an accident.
It is entirely possible for a car to have a bent frame with no record of an accident. If the driver of the damaged vehicle was at fault and did not have collision coverage, there would be no record of the accident on the title. If the owner didn't tell the dealer, the dealer would have no way to know of the accident.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You need to do your own research, title check and carfax report, prior to purchasing. If you don't do your research, the dealer doesn't have to do it for you.
I agree, *except* for the salvage title. The dealer WOULD need to inform the potential buyer of that.

Are you being sarcastic? Is it "YOU NEED TO DO YOUR OWN RESERCH."

Or is it "Its a very good idea for you get a carfax before buying, these can tell you everything!

;)RIGHT EMERSON?

racer72

Are you being sarcastic? Is it "YOU NEED TO DO YOUR OWN RESERCH."

Or is it "Its a very good idea for you get a carfax before buying, these can tell you everything!

;)RIGHT EMERSON?
Google "caveat emptor". And do your own research, the dealer does not have to do it for you.

It was ONLY a simple Yes OR No question! RIGHT?

I was ONLY wandering weather dealers are manditated or NOT to let potential buyer know of any sort of major wreck that a car has in its record:D

Well I guess I have enough info. now

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I was ONLY wandering weather dealers are manditated or NOT to let potential buyer know of any sort of major wreck that a car has in its record:D

Your question was answered.

Antigone*

You don't wander in this case, it is wonder.

Weather is whether or not it will rain or shine

"Maniditated" is just the mutilated way to spell mandated.

Humusluvr would have freaked had she seen your post :eek;

Mass_Shyster

The answer to your question is "yes".

But since you asked if they are mandated or not, a "yes" only confirms that one of the two choices is correct.

Hope that helps.

ZINGER: did you FORGET to read this part of my post prior post????

****Well I guess I have enough info. now. **** before telling me "my question WAS answered

Maybe I should have put "Thanks" at the end RIGHT?

Wirelessany1: Yes I did WANDER in this case whether the weather is going to be good or not, RIGHT, wirelessanyone???? Yeah I was wandering weather if I was manditated to be sure to spell correctly or not! RIGHT wireless1 hehe:) whoops I spelled your name wrong

and for stevef: I guess you forgot to read this part of my post prior post????

****Well I guess I have enough info. now. **** too.
OK that does it. Im going to post it in a way I SHOULD HAVE in the first place! Right now**************....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
It was ONLY a simple Yes OR No question! RIGHT? I dont need the scolding. I havent even bought a used car YET. DO YOUR RESEARCH? What do you think Im doing now?!:D

I was ONLY wandering weather dealers are manditated or NOT to let potential buyer know of any sort of major wreck that a car has in its record, thats all

Well I guess I got enough of the answer from the prior posts, now. THANKS for the answer

cyjeff

ZINGER: did you FORGET to read this part of my post prior post????

****Well I guess I have enough info. now. **** before telling me "my question WAS answered

Maybe I should have put "Thanks" at the end RIGHT?

Wirelessany1: Yes I did WANDER in this case whether the weather is going to be good or not, RIGHT, wirelessanyone???? Yeah I was wandering weather if I was manditated to be sure to spell correctly or not! RIGHT wireless1 hehe:) whoops I spelled your name wrong

and for stevef: I guess you forgot to read this part of my post prior post????

****Well I guess I have enough info. now. **** too.
OK that does it. Im going to post it in a way I SHOULD HAVE in the first place! Right now**************....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
It was ONLY a simple Yes OR No question! RIGHT? I dont need the scolding. I havent even bought a used car YET. DO YOUR RESEARCH? What do you think Im doing now?!:D

I was ONLY wandering weather dealers are manditated or NOT to let potential buyer know of any sort of major wreck that a car has in its record, thats all

Well I guess I got enough of the answer from the prior posts, now. THANKS for the answer

Then let me help....

Personally, I hope you talk yourself into the car that you obviously suspect has been salvaged.

I hope you spend a fortune for it because it has an awesome paint job or because you think it is a really great deal.

I hope you also find a good home for the family of raccoons living in the glovebox.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">