• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car dealer mistake

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mozza

What is the name of your state? Texas

Hello all. I have a question about a contract I signed for a new car earlier this week. We bought the car on Monday and picked it up Tuesday. My wife has been happily driving it for two days. Today the finance guy at the dealership called and said he put the wrong number in for the purchase price of the car when he was working the numbers. We had verbally agreed to $15,000 when looking at the car and the finance guy says he put in $12,500 by mistake. We were hanging around for four hours, so probably weren't all that switched on by the time we were reviewing everything and I guess this all got lost in the math. (Inlcuding the trade-in and options there's another $4000 on top.)

After the finance charges were worked out the monthly payment and the terms came to $370 a month for 60 months. We had budgeted $375/month, for 60 months so were quite happy.

Now the dealer wants us to come back in and redo the contract to include the extra $2500. None of his new options come close to our original budget. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that this was an honest mistake on his part and not a scam to hook us into the car, although I do wonder that it took 3 days to notice. I feel that, ethically, we should either work with him to find a compromise or take our trade-in back and keep shopping, I am wondering about the legal issues, I'm not sure if our trade-in is still on the lot for one, in which case I'm not sure what to do - is the contract legal if one party made a genuine mistake filling it out?

TIA

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">