• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car dealer withheld car accident information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jumpman86

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Bought an used car from a franchise car dealer. Car fax was clean at the time.

I recently ran the car fax again and only to find out that the car was in an accident during the time the dealer had ownership of it. The accident infomation was not disclosed by carfax until 1 year later.

If I have evidence that dealer purposely withheld information from me during the purchase, are they responsible for anything?

I was trying to sell the car recently and only to find out the car was in an accident and the resale value is much lower than a car without an accident.

Any feedbacks will be appreciated.

**Update**

My car was hit in the dealer's own parking lot.

I spoke with the dealer and they claimed that they informed me that the car was damaged and that the bumper was repainted.

I did sign the inspection check sheet stating the the bumper was repainted due to scratches but they did not mention of the accident nor a police report was filed.

Are they responsible for informing of the accident/collision (which they claim it was not an accident since the car was not moving)?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">