• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Dealer won't pay off lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Briannas

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
Dealer is out of TX.

I found an dealer (it's really just 2 guys who run a used car business) that wanted to buy my leased vehicle. The offer was to pay ff my lease (so they would have the title to sell my vehicle) and pay me the difference from our agreed upon amount. They picked up the car from me on February 1st. We signed all the Lexus paperwork together and they gave me a check for the payoff amount and I FedExed it to Lexus. Lexus received it and told me it was not a valid form of payment. It was not a certified check.

I let the dealer know and they said they would re-send payment. It's been over 6 weeks now and I have called and emailed the dealer relentlessly and there is always an excuse or they say the check is in the mail.

They may be waiting until they sell my car so they actually have the money to make the payoff but what if they don't sell it for awhile?

They stopped replying to my emails right after they picked up the car. I guess they don't want anything in writing. I do have all the previous emails where they offer to buy the vehicle and explain how it works. I have attachments of their dealer license and they paperwork where Lexus authorizes them to make the payoff.

When I get them on the phone it's always "let me check on it and call you back." I never get a call back and now they are ignoring my calls altogether.

I've had Lexus call them directly, they told them the same story "check is in the mail."

It's always "in the mail." If you ask for a tracking number they say they will call you back with it and never do.

Last edited:

johnson4730

Im a sea lawyer but...

I would do as the above poster. Take all the paperwork to the police station and tell them you would like to file the criminal complaint of grand larceny.

The police will inform the dealership. Something tells me that they will get that check in the mail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">