• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car dealership asking wife for documents after purchase/loan was "completed"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nicholas Maggio

Car dealership asking wife for documents after purchase/loan was "completed"

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Hampshire

My wife purchased a vehicle last week from a car dealership here in New Hampshire; she paid 3300 down (then was surprised with a $150 "administrative fee" and $25 "title fee" when showing up to sign the papers and pick the car up) and got between $7-$8k in a loan (a high interest loan, 21% apr, the only significant loan she could get out of all the dealers she went too). She went in, signed a bill of sale (which, now looking at it, the dealer signature is horrible) and a loan contract, had to get the car insured beforehand (with the lender listed as the lean holder) and left with the car and a bill of sale, paperwork to give for the title (which lists the bank as the lienholder), a copy of the warranty, the loan agreement etc. Up until that point the dealer had kept asking for more info, after they said they had the loan for us.

She had recently started working a part time job, in addition to receiving unemployment, and had stated that for her income. She had not been working as much as she was hired for (they told her 20-25 hours a week when she was hired) because she had been in a car accident (which was why she had to buy the new car) and she had stated the amount from about 25 hours of work a week for her income. She gave them one older paystub with a significant amount on it, and we explained to them that her current paystubs would be very low, but that she had been told she still had the job and they were just waiting to make sure she was ok to give her more hours. So they then asked for her unemployment and said they could "make it happen" with that; they called later that day and said if she showed up with 5 personal references and the proof of insurance the car was hers. We did and we drove away with the car.

Now a week later they are calling and asking for more pay stubs. Her last stub is not much because they still have not given her anywhere near the hours they hired her for. I called the bank and the woman I spoke to really didn't know anything and said "well, if she didn't provide all the documents then certainly they could void the contract." She didn't know if they had asked for any more documents and said that would be their finance department. She already paid the first insurance payment (Progressive is insuring it; they have the bank as the lien holder) and is planning on registering it tomorrow (right now it has 20 day dealer plates on it). I've told her not to just run in and give them the pay stub, that it really isn't any of the dealer's business anymore and if the bank wants something we will deal with them; she is afraid that they will try to take the car back. I think that if we just ignore them and make the payments nothing will happen because it would cost them too much to try to take it back, I don't think they could, and the bank is getting 21% apr and she can make the payments easily off her unemployment which will last at least another 4 months give or take a couple weeks (she is currently looking for full time employment).

Does anyone have any opinions on what we should do?

Nicholas Maggio

To add to this I got the name of the lien holder, Credit Acceptance Corp., a notorious lender that, from the complaints posted by others online, seems to do everything to mess up payments etc. If there was someway to get the 3300 dollars, or even most of it, back for the car I would (we would be willing to give a few hundred dollars of it to a lawyer if they were able to do this). If we can't I told my wife not to give them the pay stub (I'm not sure she can find it anyways, she is not organized and she didn't think she would need it for anything) until we find out more. If we do need to keep them I told her we should pay through some method that leaves proof of when we paid and how much.

Also, from the sounds of it, they have just called people who they have created problems with and said "we need the keys, we have someone ready to take the cars back." Screw that, the court would need to give me an order (and I would be there in court if that is possible) to give it back or at least the police (who I told her to call if someone just shows up).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">