• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Dealership Created Fraudulent Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Melissa.Cooper

New Mexico I purchased a new car on Oct. 12, 2015. I inquired online about a used car for $20,000. The salesman called me and asked me to come down and

give him 5 minutes of my time. I went to the lot and he THEN informed me that the used car was sold 2 days before, BUT he pointed out a brand

new car (same model), which was over $10,000 more. I told him I had filed for bankruptcy in 2014, he then assured me he would get me approved

because he had "a friend." I had my car for a trade in and he asked if I could put any money down. I specifically told him I had $500 in savings

but that was it. I went back to work, and he called saying he got me approved. He said my payments were $570 a month. (A bit higher than what I

wanted, but I agreed. I went home (in my old car, to unload my belongings) I also needed to get the $500 down payment. It was after 5pm, so I

could only get $300 out of the ATM. When I returned, I told the salesman that I was only able to get $300 but I would get the remaining $200

asap. The salesman then told me, if you speak to the bank, you need to tell them that you paid $3000 down. I was then taken into the finance

office. The man in the office pulled out a stack of papers. He said, "I'll just explain to you what you are signing." He went over the extended

warranty and I agreed to it, since it was only $7 a month and another coverage that covered the value of the car once driven off the lot. He put

an "x" at each place to sign or initial. I signed where he showed me to and we were finished.

Two days later I went in and talked to Dave in finance and told him I needed extra time to bring the $200 and he said that was fine, they would

work with me. Two weeks later I took in the $200 remaining down payment. I was then told I owed another $500. Dave pulled out a document I

signed showing I owed another $700 for down payment, not the $200 I paid.

I know what I had in savings, $500. I would have NEVER agreed to $1,000, it wasn't possible. Now the dealership won't turn over my license plate

and they are threatening to repo or garnish my wages.

The salesmen gave the bank fraudulent numbers to get me approved for the loan. He told me to lie to them. (In fact, they told the bank I put

$5,000). I never lied to the bank, I'm in fear that lying to them could have negative repercussions.

This salesman is a crook!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
New Mexico I purchased a new car on Oct. 12, 2015. I inquired online about a used car for $20,000. The salesman called me and asked me to come down and

give him 5 minutes of my time. I went to the lot and he THEN informed me that the used car was sold 2 days before, BUT he pointed out a brand

new car (same model), which was over $10,000 more. I told him I had filed for bankruptcy in 2014, he then assured me he would get me approved

because he had "a friend." I had my car for a trade in and he asked if I could put any money down. I specifically told him I had $500 in savings

but that was it. I went back to work, and he called saying he got me approved. He said my payments were $570 a month. (A bit higher than what I

wanted, but I agreed. I went home (in my old car, to unload my belongings) I also needed to get the $500 down payment. It was after 5pm, so I

could only get $300 out of the ATM. When I returned, I told the salesman that I was only able to get $300 but I would get the remaining $200

asap. The salesman then told me, if you speak to the bank, you need to tell them that you paid $3000 down. I was then taken into the finance

office. The man in the office pulled out a stack of papers. He said, "I'll just explain to you what you are signing." He went over the extended

warranty and I agreed to it, since it was only $7 a month and another coverage that covered the value of the car once driven off the lot. He put

an "x" at each place to sign or initial. I signed where he showed me to and we were finished.

Two days later I went in and talked to Dave in finance and told him I needed extra time to bring the $200 and he said that was fine, they would

work with me. Two weeks later I took in the $200 remaining down payment. I was then told I owed another $500. Dave pulled out a document I

signed showing I owed another $700 for down payment, not the $200 I paid.

I know what I had in savings, $500. I would have NEVER agreed to $1,000, it wasn't possible. Now the dealership won't turn over my license plate

and they are threatening to repo or garnish my wages.

The salesmen gave the bank fraudulent numbers to get me approved for the loan. He told me to lie to them. (In fact, they told the bank I put

$5,000). I never lied to the bank, I'm in fear that lying to them could have negative repercussions.

This salesman is a crook!
Thank you for sharing.

latigo

I suggest that you address your concerns to the Consumer Protection Division of the Office of the New Mexico Attorney General.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">