• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Dealership procedures

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

There was a dealer on craigslist posing as a private seller. I've made several transactions for motor vehicles through a private party sale, and it is a straight forward procedure. The guy said he had the title in hand. My relative decided he wanted to purchase the car. When I asked for the title, the guy started producing dmv paperwork. I told him that I wasn't handing over the cash, unless I get a signed title. He said that isn't how it works with a dealer sale. This is the first time he disclosed that he was a dealer, so I was a little ticked off. To make a long story short, I ended up walking away from the deal.

My question is:

Is there any reason why a dealer can not hand over a paper title at the time of sale? He was saying that dealers have to hold onto the title and that my relative would need to get a new title issued at the DMV. I know this is how it works with electronic titles which a lot of dealers use. The dealer is supposed to submit the buyers info, proof of insurance, etc. to the dmv for you. He wanted to just give him a bill of sale with the dmv forms. I told him there should be no reason why he shouldn't be able to give me the paper title. He said the car is titled under his dealerships name. All FL titles have a lines under section where a dealer can put his license number and tax id number. Moreover, the entire back has dealership reassignment.

swalsh411

Sure he can, and the reason is that he is a sketchy craigslist dealer posing as a private seller. Just walk away. There are plenty of used cars out there.

justalayman

How do you know he was a licensed dealer? I am presuming you did not go to "a dealership" to look at the car because had you, well, that's a pretty big clue that you are dealing with a dealer. If you saw the car at an individual's house, or even worse at no real specific place (along some road or in some business's parking lot) I would suggest things were not as claimed.

How do you know he was a licensed dealer? I am presuming you did not go to "a dealership" to look at the car because had you, well, that's a pretty big clue that you are dealing with a dealer. If you saw the car at an individual's house, or even worse at no real specific place (along some road or in some business's parking lot) I would suggest things were not as claimed.
It was at a local restaurant. We ended up following him to what he calls a dealership. It was an industrial park/garage place. I got out of there. At one point, he gave me his dealership business card. He has a very shady business practice. The sad part is I found another individual doing the same thing.

Thanks for the help

justalayman

Just for fun you might try looking up to see if he is actually a licensed dealer.

I don't know about you but I would have a real hard time following some guy to a garage/storage yard having just met him and the only knowledge I had of him was through Craigslist. It's bad enough that people are robbing people that initially respond to some ads but following him somewhere? Seems like a recipe for a real problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">