• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car dealership situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rachd13

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State
My husband and I bought a car in Oct we had a trade in that we still owed money on and we had a 3500$ deposit. We signed all the paperwork and took the car home about 30 days later we went back to the dealership to get our permanent tags and they told us we were never financed at all for our car but not to worry they would fix it. I asked for our trade in back and we were told that it was sold but not to worry because they could fix it. They never got us financed and we saved for a while to get the down payment together it turns out that they didnt sell our car but finished paying it off 6,000 to be exact. We wanted to get our car and down payment back and make payments to them for what they paid on our car because we have to have another car there is no way around it and we need that money to put down on one but they are refusing to do that they want to keep our down payment and all the payments we made on the car so we would be left with nothing. We did get an attorney but he is telling us there is nothing we can do, There is no way they can get away with messing us over so bad.We wanted to file a lawsuit but our attorney said there was no point that we would be drug through court for over a year for nothing he said we would get no damages what so ever and the most we would get is financing for the car but we would have to go without either car until the court case was settled. I am no lawyer but that does not sound right to me does anyone have any idea if we could file a lawsuit and if so what would we be entitled to.

swalsh411

I don't think there is anything you can do. The dealership is certainly not obligated to agree to your "solution". They cover their butts pretty well when it comes to a financing situation like you had. If you review all the papers you signed I'm sure there is something in there to cover exactly what happened. Just because it doesn't seem fair to you does not make it illegal nor does it mean you can successfully sue them.

If you don't believe the first attorney that you spoke with then go talk to another one.

rachd13

When we first went to the attorney he said we had a solid case and the dealership was doing something called bushing and we would have no issue in court they were in breach of contract and we followed completely from what i understand it was illegal for them to sell our car without proper financing in place the problem is if we were to take this to court is there anything we can do to make sure we have a car

swalsh411

If bushing is illegal in Washington state, and according to my 10 second google search it is, then why did the lawyer say you didn't have a case? Have you talked to the dealer and told them they are bushing and that you know it's illegal? That might be hoping buyers don't know their rights.

If that doesn't work, you might try contacting your state Attorney General.

rachd13

I did talk to the dealership and we at first were trying to get them to push the deal through thats all we wanted that got us no wheere so then we agreed to unwind the deal (as theirr attorney requested we do) but we had terms to that the terms were that we got all of our money down and we would make the same payments we were making in the car before they were involved and everything was agreed we were suppose to turn the car in and everything was suppose to be done monday and i got a call from my attorney tonight telling me that the attorney didnt talk to his client before telling us we had a deal so now they are wanting to keep everything and get their car. I was told that if it came to us going to court that we were entitled to 3times our damages but that seemed to change once the dealership didnt agree to our attorneys first letter it seems he just doesnt want to do it. He never even explained to us what would be considered damages in this situation.This is just really confusing.

swalsh411

Give your attorney some time to work this out. It's not going to fixed overnight and it's not like you will instantly get on the docket if you decide to sue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">