• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car dealership takes car back after 13 days

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sharonpa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I got a used car from a dealership 13 days ago, and today they took the car back saying that the loan people backed out of the deal. Is this legal?

sandyclaus

I got a used car from a dealership 13 days ago, and today they took the car back saying that the loan people backed out of the deal. Is this legal?
What does your sales contract say? Most have a clause stating that within X days they must finance the purchase at the stated rate. After that time, if they try to change the terms of the contract and increase the rate, they are not allowed to do so - they are bound by the terms of the original contract and must finance it (through whatever sources they have) at the original finance rate. It doesn't take 13 days to figure out the financing.

You should also check the Pennsylvania Attorney General's website on consumer protections available to you: Consumers: Protecting Consumers - Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General

Andy0192

If the loan was never funded, then the car dealer was never paid for the car. You can't expect to get a car that wasn't paid for.

Some more details need to be given. Was the loan through a bank or finance company? The loan company isn't allowed to "back out" of a loan, however, they don't have to accept a loan application that was submitted by the dealer on your behalf.

Was a trade in involved? Did you put cash down on the car? Was your money or trade-in returned?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

You already agreed to it...

If you still had the car in your possession, my answer would be different.

sharonpa

car...more info...

Yes I put money down on it, and yes I gave a trade-in.

This is what happened...on Thursday (yesterday) when I got home from work, I was told that the salesman from the dealership called and asked if I could bring the car back because they forgot to do something before they gave it to me, so my husband (whose name isn't on the contract, only my name) asked if I had to be there and he was told no, so he took me to work today and took the car, and thinking they were going to fix something on the car, gave them the car to do whatever they were going to fix. Then they said to him that the loan people have backed out of the deal and he is giving me my trade-in back and will mail me a check for my down payment. So he called me at work to explain this, and put the salesman on the phone, and he told me all this, and then said ok? and I said well no, its not ok, so he said I will go talk to my manager and call you back. And he never called me back and I called home at my breaktime and found out that the salesman didn't go speak to the manager and gave him the old car back. I asked him if they gave him the title back, and they didn't so I had him call them to tell them to send that also. So, were they allowed to do that without ME being there, and when I said on the phone that no it wasn't ok?

Thank you all for your help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You agreed to it - why would you be asking for the title to your old car instead of asking for your "new" car?

Andy0192

Something in the way that reply is worded makes me think there was some inaccurate or misleading information given in the loan application.

I've never heard of a dealer being that sneaky when trying to get a car back after a loan was refused. They usually want to make the deal stick, any way they can, they'll ask first for a co-buyer, or extra money down.

Ozark_Sophist

Something in the way that reply is worded makes me think there was some inaccurate or misleading information given in the loan application.

I've never heard of a dealer being that sneaky when trying to get a car back after a loan was refused. They usually want to make the deal stick, any way they can, they'll ask first for a co-buyer, or extra money down.
I have seen this happen.

And if the Senate hadn't kicked in an additional 2 big ones, it might have been happening all over the place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">