• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car dealership - wrong owner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

grievn

What is the name of your state? mo

I recently bought a new car from adealership a stepparent works at. I was told that we both had to be listed as owners for 6 months because of how the plan worked. I was fine with that and we both signed all the papers and i wrote a check for the entire amount of the vehicle. The manager had to approve everything and was gone for the day so they were going to mail the papers to me.

This is where it gets ugly ... When the papers came they were in step name and i wasnt on any of them; theyd even made a reciept to step. I told them i was upset and wanted to be on title because its my car. They sent papers again but this time i was lienholder and step listed as owner. I wasnt happy but they said there was nothing that could be done. I can't get ins or license car without it being in my name ( I didnt know that and thought I'd be able to since lienholder). I found out step recently got a loan and have become suspicious of steps actions. I feel like hes got some kind of white collar conspiracy going. Im mad ; i need advice! what do i do?

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? mo

I recently bought a new car from adealership a stepparent works at. I was told that we both had to be listed as owners for 6 months because of how the plan worked. I was fine with that and we both signed all the papers and i wrote a check for the entire amount of the vehicle. The manager had to approve everything and was gone for the day so they were going to mail the papers to me.

This is where it gets ugly ... When the papers came they were in step name and i wasnt on any of them; theyd even made a reciept to step. I told them i was upset and wanted to be on title because its my car. They sent papers again but this time i was lienholder and step listed as owner. I wasnt happy but they said there was nothing that could be done. I can't get ins or license car without it being in my name ( I didnt know that and thought I'd be able to since lienholder). I found out step recently got a loan and have become suspicious of steps actions. I feel like hes got some kind of white collar conspiracy going. Im mad ; i need advice! what do i do?
how old are you?

grievn

actuallu I'm 28 years old. I had full trust in step and may not have been clear about the details.

JETX

what do i do?
Very simple. Have the 'owner' sign the title transfer over to you... then record the title transfer with your state DMV. And yes, it might cost a little... so make sure your 'step' pays for those costs... or you absorb them as tuition to the 'Life Lessons University'.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Very simple. Have the 'owner' sign the title transfer over to you... then record the title transfer with your state DMV. And yes, it might cost a little... so make sure your 'step' pays for those costs... or you absorb them as tuition to the 'Life Lessons University'.
If this was really a "mistake" by the dealership, then the step shouldn't have to pay anything to fix this. However, the costs of this transfer will probably be fairly small so it would make more sense just to pay it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">